HandbagMafia's Reviews > Firstlife

Firstlife by Gena Showalter

did not like it

Oh, man. What a disappointment. The premise of this book sounded so great. Your first life is nothing but prep for the second life. Everyone picks a side, basically, for the ongoing battle in the next life. You choose: Myriad or Troika. Unsigned, those who haven't chosen, are imprisoned and treated harshly in an effort to force them to choose. Enter main character, Ten Lockwood. She hasn't chosen (no idea why) and has been in an asylum for 13 months.
Ten is fascinated with numbers (obvious, much?) and holding out from choosing. We learn straight away that she is "special". She is pretty (obviously) yet tough and "different". Okay, I could deal with that.
The seductive creatures ("laborers") who try to win Ten over to their "side" is where it really lost me. We are meant to believe that such a tough, unique and resourceful girl will be swayed by pretty eyelashes? Come on. This is the kind of drivel teen girls need to avoid like the plague.

I wasn't a fan of the writing style which I found choppy and basic. There were too many unanswered questions and plot holes. Not a fan, though I wanted to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firstlife.

February 1, 2017 – Started Reading