Jodi's Reviews > Girl at Sea

Girl at Sea by Maureen Johnson

F 50x66
Aug 15, 2011

it was ok

I was a big fan of 13 Little Blue Envelopes and The Last Little Blue Envelope so I had high hopes for Girl at Sea. Unfortunately, I found the story line to be a bit boring.
Clio is upset when her potentially perfect summer is ruined when she is sent to live with her father. Her father, along with a research crew, are planning dives off the coast of Italy in a hunt for a missing artifact. Her and her father have had a strained relationship since his irresponsible ways caused her family to lose all their money and for Clio to get hurt in a potentially devastating accident. Needless to say, sailing around without any connection to the outer world, or without any idea as to what her father and crew are up to, Clio begins to resent her father even more.
I felt that this story could have had potential but that it just never got there. Although as a reader you knew that Aidan and Clio would get together, that plot was dragged out way too long. Also, the technical terms and "history" in the story were just not interesting. I would find myself skimming those parts. Also, the shenanigans towards the end of the story just seemed unnecessary and ridiculous. I found myself starting to roll my eyes quite a bit.
Although Clio was a solid lead character, this book definitely did not have the charisma of some of Johnson's other stories. I was definitely disappointed by this one. Also, it definitely seemed too long. I stand by my call that the last few chapters would have been better off on the editing room floor.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl at Sea.

07/23 marked as: read

Alaina Take a shot every time you say a variation of the word potential.