Maverynthia's Reviews > Slum Online

Slum Online by Hiroshi Sakurazaka

May 17, 2017

it was ok
bookshelves: jp-books

So imagine a fanfiction about fighting games. OK.. now open your eyes! Yes this is a book that is basically about a dude that somehow gets a girlfriend and treats her like trash, but she sticks with him anyways. That's after you are left wondering how they even hooked up and when they started dating as she's mentioned so little past a part that you see on the cover where she's squeeing for a stuffed animal and of course dudebro gets it for her. Also she's terrible at fighting games of course.

Expect TONS of info dumping about how the fights are going, tons of info about button presses and how generally polygons are rendered. Tetsuo/Etsuro (KANEDA!) also describes real life sounds as "sound FX".
Then in the end it's alluded that Jack's player is a woman and OF COURSE then this whole book turns into a man's quest to best a woman that is super awesome. Like a crap ton of narratives I see out there.

Overall super boring novel about a guy that plays video games online too much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slum Online.

May 1, 2017 – Started Reading
May 1, 2017 – Shelved
May 1, 2017 – Shelved as: jp-books
May 8, 2017 –
5.0% "5% in and I already hate this book. We have Dan-nii Otoko playing an online fighting game with descriptions of the battle like RA Salvatore. I think I might snooze through this book.

I meant to take Last Dragon with me but forgot.... not that, that book is any better."
May 17, 2017 – Finished Reading