Shannon's Reviews > Assassins

Assassins by Mike Bond

it was ok

There are probably a lot of people who would be interested in this book, but unfortunately I'm not one of them. It's just not for me. Veterans and military buffs will find a lot here to like, but those of us who aren't as interested in war will likely be bored. There's not enough other things to keep someone reading if they aren't fascinated by the Middle East Wars. So ignore this review if war interests you.

I started this book expecting something similar to Brad Thor: military guys, cool action scenes, a bit of politics here and there, and maybe some history to round things out. What I found was a PSA against Islam and Islamic countries. Just in case Americans don't get enough propaganda that tells us Muslims are inherently bad, here's a whole book all about it.

The writing itself was decent, though I wasn't a fan of the long run-on sentences. I can see readers being swept up in this kind of writing. This is what earns it the extra star from me. However, there were several times where it felt the author put in battle scenes for no reason other than to add drama and a lot of the time they felt superfluous.

What really made me not want to continue reading was the one-sided stance on the wars (because bad guys are just innately bad and no one has other dimensions) and when the author used words such as retard and raghead. They might not be the most horrible words a person could use, but they're not something I appreciate reading, especially when they're not used in dialogue. If you've got a character who is a jerk and he uses that language, that's usually okay with me. When a book is third person and those words are being used, that's less okay.

All in all, a little too racist/religion-ist for my taste. I would have preferred more balance and understanding. Less slurs would have been nice as well.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassins.

Finished Reading
May 1, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Charles Heath Whut. Brad Thor is the ULTIMATE Islamophobe.