Dee's Reviews > Every Breath You Take

Every Breath You Take by Judith McNaught

Aug 15, 2011

liked it
Read on August 15, 2011

** spoiler alert ** EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE will NOT go down as one of my favorite Judith McNaught books and here's why:
1) The story was slow & boring to begin with.
2)I really liked Kate & Mitchell, yet for me, the chemistry was not what I was expecting. They just didn't "grab" me. Again, I liked both characters, but something was missing. I could never quite put my finger on it.
3) As much as I enjoy reading McNaught's books, I am so not a fan of "the big misunderstanding" plot device. I can handle it in small doses - meaning the misunderstanding only last a few chapters. But when it goes on, and on, and on. I just can't stand it! At least make the reading in between the breakup and the make-up super interesting. That wasn't the case with this book IMO.
4) The misunderstanding itself was just plain dumb! Why wouldn't Kate go to the pier to see if Mitchell actually showed up? That was so stupid.

Despite all that, I still liked the book because:
1) Kate getting pregnant made the story more interesting. I couldn't wait for Mitchell to find out about Danny! It was really sweet when Mitchell planned to offer the kidnappers $20 million for his son's safe return, instead of the $10 million they were asking for.
2) I loved getting tidbits about Matt & Meredith (whose father is still a jerk, apparently) as well as Zach & Julie.
3) I was afraid the storyline was going to be a repeat of PERFECT, with Mitchell having to go to trial for killing his brother. I was relieved when the authorities were able to prove Mitchell had nothing to do with Williams murder. Although, I was hoping William was not dead. He seemed like a cool guy.

In summation, I wish the book had been a little better, but if you've read PARADISE and PERFECT, you should read this one for sure.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Breath You Take.

08/15/2011 page 232