Kris's Reviews > The One Memory of Flora Banks

The One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily Barr

May 01, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: read-unowned, e-arc-2017, contemporary, read-2017, young-adult, 3-star

I originally heard about this book from a video on YouTube where someone that I enjoy watching had been sent it. She read the synopsis out loud, and of course, I was immediately interested. I have never read a book in which the main character has amnesia before, so I was unsure of what to expect.

Flora does not have a stable short term memory; the maximum amount of time she can remember things is a couple of hours. This makes for a very different form of narrative as it is quite repetitive. While I found this frustrating, it's obviously written in this way to portray what it would be like for someone with Anterograde Amnesia. I also found the writing to be more along the lines of middle grade level, but that also makes sense within the narrative because Flora's functioning long-term memory stops from the time she is 10 years old. Flora has grown up physically, but she has not been able to grow psychologically.

In the beginning, I was very aggravated with a lot of the characters in this book. I found Paige and Drake to be making extremely irresponsible decisions. I was very worried about Flora consistently through the book. It is absolutely incredible she was able to take care of herself to the level that she did considering her circumstances. One thing that really bothered me was the fact that Flora believed Drake could cure her memory. Looking for love to cure an illness is a very dangerous trope. However, I do see why Flora could feel that way. The memory of kissing him was the only one from her current life she could remember. Nonetheless, it must be noted that "cure-culture" should not be taken lightly as it could be damaging to impressionable readers.

Overall, this book was okay and it was a very quick read for me. I'm happy to have been able to read something from an amnesiac's point of view, although I'm not sure I will again in the future. The repetition was a bit of an annoyance for me, but I understand that it was necessary in order to tell the story from Flora's point of view. I would like to say thank you to Penguin for providing me the opportunity to read this book early! I appreciate it immensely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One Memory of Flora Banks.

April 30, 2017 – Started Reading