Kirby's Reviews > The Penderwicks at Point Mouette

The Penderwicks at Point Mouette by Jeanne Birdsall

Aug 15, 2011

I read this book under ideal conditions -- at the beach! In fact, the last two chapters were read in a bed that has a view of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, with a hot cup of really good coffee at my side. So perhaps this review should be taken with a grain of. . .sand. That confession made, I have to say this might be one of my favorite of the Penderwicks' stories so far. Skye's struggles with being appointed OAP for the duration of a summer trip to Maine really touched me. Batty gets a new friend and Jane experiences first love as only a writer of her caliber could. Maybe one could dicker about a major turn of events in the story but it felt very Austenish and just right to me. I loved looking back to the places where this wonderful writer gave us hints about this turn. I also enjoy reading about a family that is fiercely dedicated to one another, but not sticky-sweet about it.
My only complaint is that after reading about all those trips to Moose Market, I really wanted a piece of pie.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Penderwicks at Point Mouette.

Started Reading