Flannery's Reviews > Little Beach Street Bakery

Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan

liked it
bookshelves: audiobooks, i-want-to-go-to-there, kcls, read-in-2017, romance

After enjoying my audiobook experience with The Bookshop on the Corner, I requested that King County Library System purchase this audiobook so I could keep going with Jenny Colgan's books, which I'd hoped would fill that quirky romance fix I sometimes have. The story in this book is the same sort of deal as that one: a woman has some problems in her life and decides to start anew somewhere else. She builds up a business and finds someone special. End of. That's not what I want to mention about this audiobook. If you like those kinds of books, read this in book format. It's cute and you get really hungry listening about all the baking. It makes you want to visit more fishing villages. Whatever.

The biggest issue with this book is the abysmal casting for the narration. Veida Dehmlow has a fantastic voice, but at least to me, it would be better suited to Miss Marple-type mystery stories, classic books or historical romance. The main characters in The Little Beach Street Bakery are around 32, but they sound like they are in a retirement home. Have you ever heard two old ladies playing bridge while talking about going to bars and getting laid? Yeah, it's probably not happening too often. (except maybe on The Golden Girls, which I will go to my grave saying is one of the best shows ever) There are a lot of male characters in this book, and they all have the same voice: husky, drunken monster. The love interest is supposed to have a Southern drawl, and his voice makes him sound like a simpleton version of the husky, drunken monster.

So anyway, read this book if you like quaint, quirky romance. If you are thinking about listening to the audiobook, put it back on the shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Beach Street Bakery.

April 17, 2017 – Started Reading
April 28, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 30, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Catie (last edited Apr 30, 2017 03:52PM) (new)

Catie I really <3 Jenny Colgan, or at least I used to. One of my favorites from back in the day is Talking to Addison. I read it maybe twelve years ago, so I have no idea if it holds up, but you should check it out!

ETA that I remember the narrator of the audio is excellent.

message 2: by Halle (new) - added it

Halle I just read a book today called How to Find Love in a Bookshop by Veronica Henry and it was very cute and reminded me of Jenny Colgan. I'm not sure how it is on audio but it was a delightful read.

Leslie Just listened to this the other day and your review is spot on!

Flannery Catie, I definitely will.

Halle, thank you for the indirect recommendation. I added it to my to-read list:)

Leslie, I actually wrote an email to Tantor Audio and said this was terrible casting. I have never written an email like that before in my life.

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen B I read Meet Me at the Cupacake Cafe by the same author a few years ago, narrated by Michelle Ford, and it was pretty good, though I think I had to speed it up a bit.

Flannery There isn't a lot of substance to these books, but I don't seem to mind. There's an abundance of charm and sometimes that's all I'm looking for. And seriously, Jenny Colgan is great at writing about locations and making me really want to visit. I can't get enough of her coastlines and highlands:)

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Yes!!! Narrators can make or break a story. I've made the switch from paper to audio about a year ago, because I am forever schlepping my 3 kids everywhere nowadays. Anyhow, I sometimes wonder how authors feel about their narrators. Do they even get a say?!

Flannery I usually just check a few out from the library at a time and then listen to the first few minutes to see what's what. Some audiobooks can go up to, like, 40 hours, and no one wants to be tortured for that entire time.

Also, Little Beach Street Bakery had random sentences in the last few chapters that were read by someone else in post, as well as some of the chapter headings. Like the main narrator said "Chapter blah" for every chapter except the last few? WHY?

Laura Could not agree more!! I'm trying to get through it,but the narrator definitely presents a challenge....

Flannery Laura, I even wrote a customer care email to Tantor Audio saying that I've listened to 270+ audiobooks and this is, by far, the worst casting I've ever heard. I felt like one of those jerky people who yell at retail salespeople, but I truly wanted to just say that whoever was in charge of making that decision was lying down on the job. They must've listened to it being recorded and edited it! HOW?

Laura You go girl!

message 12: by Patty (new)

Patty Completely agree with your comments about the narration. I didn't love Polly's voice at first, but I got used to it. The male voices, though... horrible. It was so hard to get past. Really made it hard to get into those relationships. All the men sounded alike and like they drank 3 bottles of whiskey and smoked a carton of cigarettes a day for the last two decades. And Huck... just sounded unintelligent. I liked the book itself, but with better narration, I would have connected a lot more.

Flannery Patty, Hucks voice really bugged me...maybe even most of all. He was supposed to be a very intelligent businessman and he kept up with a fast-paced, social climbing crowd in the US. The chosen voice just made him sound like someone who would be lost in a business meeting. And the slow drawl just made me frustrated because he could never seem to form a sentence in a tolerable amount of time. Anyway, I had zero interest in him as a romantic interest in the book:-/

Victoria Hilarious!! I felt the same way about the audiobook especially when she read the men’s parts! It was very atmospheric, my favorite part but...

Emily I'm listening to the book right now and I had the same problem. I didn't realize that the fisherman wasn't an old man until later in the book!!!

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy I just gave up listening to the audiobook version and will finish the book in print for all the reasons you describe. Polly sounds far older than 32 and the voice for Huck was so intolerable I stopped even before his first scene was done.

Flannery Good choice!