Kai (Quartzfeather)'s Reviews > The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash

The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash by Candace Ganger

Jul 13, 2017

I am handwriting my very first review today because I currently don't have access to Blogger's post editor *glares at wifi company* and I really can't wait any longer to get all my thoughts on paper, so bear (hehe, book insider pun) with me.

I approached The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash a bit cautiously. You see, I was right smack dab in the middle of a meh-ish book slump when I first picked it up, none of the books I'd read beforehand had really wowed me, so I was a bit worried I wouldn't like this one either, but oh god did I adore Birdie and Bash.

It did take me a bit to get into it, the first chapter took me like a week to get through cause the aforementioned previous books left me in such a weird funk, but once the story started moving, I was instantly hooked.

The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash had me on the edge of my seat pretty much the entire time (seriously, this book gave me so much second hand anxiety), I was just so worried about poor Bash....
I can't really say much because *spoilers* but let's just say this book deals with a pretty heavy issue from a unique perspective I've never seen before.

Birdie and Bash are some of the best characters I've met this year. I just adore how Birdie's always spouting off facts both in her brain and out loud cause #relatable (hehe, why yes, I am the killjoy of my friend group with my constant factual reality checks), and Bash is just so *hugs character tightly*, BUT KYLE (view spoiler).

The collision theory is a running motif (look at me using a fancy schmancy literary term, my English teacher would be so proud) throughout the entire story, and honestly, I really loved that little detail. It works so well the with plot and added such charm to the entire book.

Some Cover Thoughts... The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash's cover isn't really anything flashy but it fits the story pretty well. While the roller skating rink doesn't really come into the story till about a third of the way through, it ends up playing a pretty integral role in Birdie and Bash's relationship.

Diversity Corner... Bash, one of the two narrators, is a first generation Brazilian American, and his mother (aka the most kick-ass lady ever) is also a single parent.

This review first appeared on Quartzfeather

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash.

April 30, 2017 – Shelved
April 30, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 2, 2017 – Started Reading
July 12, 2017 –
page 212
66.25% "Why Bash, WHYYYYY why are you doing this to yourself????"
July 13, 2017 –