diana's Reviews > Flame in the Mist

Flame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh

bookshelves: high-five-for-the-cover, arc, netgalley

Mulan retelling and feudal Japan? Uhm. YES PLEASE.

I honestly LOVED everything about Flame in the Mist. I admit the beginning was a bit slow-paced for me but the further I read, the better it got. I've read only one other series that centers around Japanese mythology (Red Winter by Annette Marie) and so far it has yet to disappoint me.
I think one of the reasons why I liked this book so much was because of how alike Mariko and Shazi was. They may not be as good as other kickass heroines in wielding swords but they're thinkers with an unyielding determination to stand firm with what they believe in. They get themselves out of difficult situations because of their intelligence, resourcefulness and ingenuity. And I greatly admired that.

Now I can't say much about the romance other than it was definitely slow burn. And who wouldn't love that?!
And I can't say much about The Black Clan. Because... I really don't know much about them. I think that's the one thing that really disappointed me about the book. Mariko was kidnapped and is living in the midst of this infamous band of mercenaries and I know zilch about them. How were they formed? What is their true purpose? How many of them are there? Where did they all come from? How did they gain such a scary reputation? Because they weren't all that scary to me. Seriously.

Overall Flame in the Mist is an amazing read! I devoured it in one sitting and now am dying to get my hands on book two. Because that ending? That ending was an absolute torture.

Oh and just so it's clear. The only reason I'm not giving this five stars is because I didn't obsess over it like I did with The Wrath and the Dawn. Because when it comes to Renee Ahdieh? The only other author you can compare Renee Ahdieh to is Renee Ahdieh.

I received an e-arc to read and review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flame in the Mist.

April 29, 2017 – Shelved