Carolyn's Reviews > Fatima: The Apparition That Changed the World

Fatima by Jean M. Heimann

Apr 29, 2017

bookshelves: catholic-nonfiction

I didn’t know how much my knowledge of the Fatima apparitions was lacking until I read Jean M. Heimann’s beautiful new book! As a cradle Catholic with at least average knowledge about my faith, I’ve long known about the Blessed Mother’s appearances to three young Portuguese children in the early 20th century. What this book, replete with beautiful photographs, did, is provide depth and context to my superficial knowledge.

Fatima: The Apparition That Changed the World works as a reference book, a coffee table book, a spiritual work, and a primer in history – both ecclesiastical and 20th century world history. One of the most helpful features in the book is a timeline, setting the visions in context with historical events. (It was also a reminder of how slowly the Catholic Church moves, often with good reason.) The timeline is also traced in greater detail through the 20th and 21st century papacies.

Just in time for the centennial of the first apparitions and the canonizations of two of the three visionaries, Francisco and Jacinta Marto, later this month, Fatima: The Apparition That Changed the World not only educates and edifies, but brings to bear the continuing relevance of Our Lady’s message today.

As private revelation, the apparitions, while approved (meaning that they are supernatural and do not contradict good faith or morals) are not part of the deposit of faith. Even so, this detailed story of Fatima left me in awe of the majesty of God and the significant role Our Lady plays in salvation history.

(I received an advance copy from the author. Opinions are my own.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fatima.

April 29, 2017 – Shelved