Michael's Reviews > The Last Wish

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

liked it
Recommended to Michael by: Alex

Geralt of Rivia is an interesting character, a magic-using swordsman traveling through a world that blends bits of the real world ("Far across the ocean, there are horses with white stripes") with well-known fantasy tales (genies granting three wishes). Unlike many of the peasants telling the tales, Geralt is well-versed in the "science" behind the magic, which he puts to use in his work as mercenary monster-slayer.

This book is a series of vignettes that mainly serve to introduce Geralt and some of the other major characters he interacts with in the world. Interestingly, the events of the first Witcher game actually take place in the future rather than using the book as the script. The exception is his fight with the striga in the CGI cutscene that plays when the game launches, which is animated beat-for-beat from the scene in the book, something you see too often. In the game, this scene is a glimpse of Geralt's past, and many of the other stories in this book are referenced by the game as legends or memories.

I enjoyed reading it, although I do think some of the smoothness of the prose has been quite literally "lost in translation" from Polish. I'm interested enough in what will happen to read the next book, and I'm about to start playing The Witcher 2 game as well.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Wish.

Started Reading
April 29, 2017 – Shelved
April 29, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Alex This book was by far the worst translated. All the rest are translated pretty well.

Michael Alex wrote: "This book was by far the worst translated. All the rest are translated pretty well."

Good to know!