Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)'s Reviews > Girls Made of Snow and Glass

Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust

bookshelves: fantasy, lgbt, read-to-review, almost-great, young-adult

4 Stars

Overview:

I knew Melissa Bashardoust's debut would hold a special place on my shelves before I even read it. Because it was my first physical ARC!

description

(I'm so happy I didn't hate this)

Taking place in a land plagued by endless Winter, this Snow White retelling focuses on two young women. The first, Mina is startled to learn her father created a replacement heart for her-- made out of glass. Unable to love or feel like others, Mina instead focuses on power, ultimately marrying the recently widowed King and becoming step-mother to little Lynet. Unfortunately, it's quickly revealed Mina’s magician father also played a hand in Lynet’s creation— by shaping her out of snow, in the exact image of the dead queen.

This fundamentally changes their relationship, especially as Lynet grows older and threatens Mina’s newfound power.

I received an ARC of this in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Flatiron Books for the opportunity!

Pros:

This is absolutely one of the most inventive retellings, I’ve ever read. It seamlessly incorporates the original mythology with a new fantastic story. Often, retelings feel a little stale, or predictable, as they can only stray so far from the initial plot, but I genuinely didn’t know how this was all going to unfold.

Partially because the ‘evil-Queen’ is such a well-established and developed character. Believing herself incapable of love, Mina simultaneously pushes others away and hates being alone. Her struggles were very fleshed-out and she immediately became a sympathetic character, despite (or maybe partially because of) her calculating mind.

Lynet’s own struggles are all about identity and agency, but just as enticing. How much of her is just a copy of her mother? Where is her own identity? How does she even establish one without disrespecting the woman whose image she’s made in?

Overall, this grapples with some very large and difficult themes, including:

• Lynet’s relationship with her father, who sees her primarily as a reflection of his first wife.
• (There were all types of creepy undertones here, and they were handled well)
• Mina’s relationship with her mirror, which serves an excellent foil to her, but also quickly establishes itself as a character.
• A ton of discussion about perceived gender roles—including female monarchs and a female surgeon.
• At one point, Mina finds she attracts more male attention by acting fragile or scared. This becomes an interesting theme for her character, and opens all sorts of discussions.

It’s also an F/F retelling of snow white? Which is just awesome???

Cons

As interesting as the character work is, there really wasn’t enough plot. There were bits and pieces of a story that clambered towards an ending, but most felt rushed and lacking substance.

For instance, Mina is furious when she’s displaced from her position ruling the southern territories. But we’ve not seen her in this role. How does she rule these territories? What policies has she enacted?

We know she’s partial to the southern territories, since that’s where she’s from, but why is she so incredibly attached? Outside of reiterating that the south was ‘warmer’ there’s very little actual worldbuilding involved.

This was my main problem with the story. When there was plot, it was very underdeveloped.

In Conclusion

Really strong debut with an inventive story and fantastic character work-- but not enough focus on the plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls Made of Snow and Glass.

April 29, 2017 – Shelved
April 29, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 9, 2017 – Shelved as: anticipated-releases
July 28, 2017 – Started Reading
July 30, 2017 –
page 42
10.94% "There's some twisted undertones with the king constantly wanting his daughter to be just like his deceased wife. Enjoying that this fairy-tale adaptation is keeping a creepy-ethereal vibe."
July 30, 2017 –
page 95
24.74% ""Is it the man you want, or the throne?"
"Both."

I am digging this 🙌🏻"
August 6, 2017 –
page 189
49.22% "This King is a dick, tbh"
August 6, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
August 6, 2017 – Shelved as: lgbt
August 6, 2017 – Shelved as: read-to-review
August 6, 2017 – Shelved as: almost-great
August 6, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Sana Im sooo excited for this one !!! Amazing review, girl.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Thanks, girl ❤️

message 3: by Rivalie (new) - added it

Rivalie I'm so excited for this book, can't wait for it to come out! Great review :)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Rivalie wrote: "I'm so excited for this book, can't wait for it to come out! Great review :)"

Thank you! I really enjoyed it and I hope you do too!

message 5: by Cassandra (new) - added it

Cassandra great review

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Cassandra wrote: "great review"

Thank you, Cassandra!