Meagan's Reviews > Bookburners: The Complete Season 1

Bookburners by Max Gladstone

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, trl17

This book is loooooong, but if you're into action-packed dark fantasy it's worth your time. It was originally written serially and released with a subscription box, so the story is broken up into easily digestible bits that are easy to remember if you want to take a little break in between, so if you find a physical copy of this book don't let it intimidate you. It's not as big and scary as it looks.

As for the story, it's kind of like those Librarian movies with Noah Wyle, or National Treasure. With demons. It's about a crack team of specialists who work with the Vatican to collect and secure dangerous (read: possessed) books and artifacts to keep them from endangering hapless readers by spewing out demons or stopping time or turning everything nearby into toxic black mold. The demon stuff is dark and creepy (and occasionally kind of funny). The characters all have their own specialties and distinct personalities, and I found getting to know them all to be really satisfying. The authors also took the time to build characters with truly diverse backgrounds: the fighter is Chinese, the hacker is Irish, the librarian is African (I want to say Nigerian, but my memory has faded), the priest is Salvadoran (I think? It's been a few weeks since I finished...), and the cop is from the states. Their experiences and backgrounds matter to their character, and it's one of those elements that makes for a richer reading experience. The story is filled with action and peril, and is informed by lots of different types of world religions and mythologies, which was also really fun to read.

Be brave! Ignore the massive size of this book and give it a try. There are so many things that make it fun, exciting, tense, scary reading. It's a cinematic reading experience, and one it would be a shame to miss if any part of my description sounds interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bookburners.

April 29, 2017 – Shelved