Yuli Atta - Damaged Pages's Reviews > Hire Me

Hire Me by Elodie Colt

May 04, 2017

*actual rating 4,5 stars*

I received an eARC of Hire Me for an honest review.

I just want to say that I thought that I was in a reading slump because I didn't seem to be able to read a short book for a week...and then I started this one and read it in a few hours. It is a novella and it is short but still it got me through my reading difficulties of the week and I am grateful.

Every time I start an Elodie Colt book I have really high expectations and I haven't been disappointed so far. And I'm glad.

I love Elodie's writing and the way she uses the words especially since she is not a native and I know how hard it is to write in a foreign language. Yet, she uses her words so beautifully and so well that I can't help but love everything she writes. When I first read something by her (In Blood We Trust) I was so mesmerised by her writing that I couldn't believe that English wasn't her mother tongue. But enough about foreigners. Real talent knows no boundaries. (Am I over exaggerating? I don't even know anymore.)

I don't usually like novellas because they are too short for me to fully enjoy them. I want more time with the characters and just more of the author's writing but I made an exception because...well, I already expressed my love for her writing, didn't I? I wasn't disappointed. Oh. I. Was. Not.

The story is so well developed that I was fully engaged in it. In fact, I was so swallowed up by Hire Me that I didn't even notice the present tense it is written in until I reached a possible plot hole situation. There are no plot holes as usual (#NotSurprising). It's needless to say that I loved this novella so I will just say a few words about the characters.

Sam is an indie author whose first book doesn't sell as good as she'd want it to and a storm kind of ruins her garden and car. I could relate so much to her that it was actually pretty surprising! I think this is the main reason I loved her character so much and the fact that she lived in a house with her friends. I loved the way Elodie has made her and I enjoyed reading her POVs.

Matthew (is a really hard name to write) is an awesome character as well. I didn't only like his appearance but the way he behaved around Sam and her friends. They instantly clicked, so to speak, and every time Sam's friends interrupted them it was like it's always been like that. This is something I loved about them all.

Although the way they met isn't the best of occasions (him being taken) I loved how they got closer and how they tried not to...make a mistake they'd both regret. Even though Hire Me is a pretty short novella ( that I totally loved!) it's story is completely developed in my opinion as is their relationship. The more you read, the better you see how suitable they are for each other and I am just a sucker for good book/novella of this kind.

I don't even know how I gathered so many words to express how much I liked Hire Me. I don't know how to end this review so I will just say that it is full of everything you could want from this novella and more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hire Me.

April 29, 2017 – Shelved