dameolga's Reviews > Blameless

Blameless by Gail Carriger

Aug 14, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal-urban-fantasy, steampunk
Read in August, 2011

Warning: Obviously spoilers from the last two books.

What can I say? Though Blameless is not my favorite out of the bunch, Carriger's witty writing is as charming, entertaining, and humorous as always. Lord Maccon's unfortunate stupid moment from the end of Changeless continued to chafe me as I read through this one. (view spoiler) Still, I can't say that his actions were out of the blue or simply a plot device to split the couple, though it certainly did leave Alexia away from Lord Maccon for a large chunk of the book (No worries I won't say exactly how large). Perhaps because of this separation, Carriger ratchets up the action and suspense substantially compared to last two books, which had more of a sleuth like feel to them than one of action. And I did enjoy the fast pace of Blameless.

Despite some character's almost absence in this book, Carriger has focused the spotlight on some of the characters that had been left behind in Changeless; namely, the ever practical and efficient Professor Lyall and the tight-lipped and equally efficient Floote. Professor Lyall has become a close second as my favorite character next to Lord Akeldama. His ability to handle most of what comes his way is admirable and refreshing. I feel as if he is the only "normal" personality of the lot but that really means he's less silly and eccentric than the rest of the cast.

As with most third books (I have a theory about third books in series), the core plot of the Parasol Protectorate series is revealed in greater detail. Things that have been lightly hinted at from the first two becomes relevant. If I can hold out, I want to read Heartless after Timeless is published. Somehow I feel that the next one might be a cliffhanger seeing as Carriger only plans to write just the five books. Looking forward to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blameless.