Michelle's Reviews > The Dogs of Babel

The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn  Parkhurst

Apr 10, 2008

I picked this book up in a bookstore last summer, and I began reading it while waiting for my companions. While I've read many mystery novels, this one seemed unique and stuck in my mind even after replacing it on the shelf just a few pages in.

I was surprised when I finally purchased this book nearly a year later to find that it is a lot more than a mystery novel and more than just a story (albeit a great one) about grief and loss. It is also a story about romance, mental illness, fear of bringing a child into the world, marriage, science, animals, animal abuse, suicide, linguistics, art, dreams...

The plot can be a little too much to swallow at times, but there are things in here that will stick with me for a while.

"I touched her and it felt like coming home. What more is there to say?"

"I suppose everyone is a skeptic until they have a reason to believe."

"We never know, do we, what our neighbors might be doing behind their fences, what love affairs and bloody rituals might be taking place right next door? The world is a far more interesting place than we ever think."

"It's gratifying to know that you've appeared in someone else's dream. It's proof that you exist, in a way, proof that you have substance and value outside the walls of your own mind."

"It's not the content of our dreams that give our second heart its dark color; it's the thoughts that go through our heads in those wakeful moments when sleep won't come. And those are the things we never tell anyone at all."

"We would walk through our days together, and the shadow we would cast on the ground would be tall, the shadow of two adults walking together, not the familiar H of adult-child-adult walking hand in hand... There would still be the two of us, and the bright sky of our love. I could do this for her."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dogs of Babel.