Matthew Barrett's Reviews > Age of Myth

Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan

liked it

This is my first time reading any of Michael J. Sullivan's books. I tried this book and while it is passable, it fits generic fantasy. I actually have very little to say about it. The premise was slightly intriguing, although nothing too original. Humans rebel against the faster, smarter, deadlier, long lived elves, who are considered gods by the humans and some can even use magic.
But even with this premise there were issues. The magic, at least in this book, seems way too powerful. I don't know what the limits are, as they command the weather, reroute a river, and other things like light fires, all without seeming to have limitations. And the elves do very little to maintain their stature as gods, especially when one is killed and they go around trumpeting that fact. Sure, they take revenge, but by doing that, they confirm to the humans they are mortal. At no time in the book am I in awe of the elves, except maybe in the first few paragraphs.
The characters are fine, but not too memorable. The plot was fairly predictable, with even the red herring being obvious as such.
I've started reading Theft of Swords and it at least seems a little more interesting, if still in the same generic world. I'm not sure I'll read any sequels to Age of Myth, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Age of Myth.

Started Reading