Pat Loughery's Reviews > Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian Community

Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

2319365
Aug 14, 2011

bookshelves: re-read, christian-spirituality, the-734-sp-formation-in-communities, the-733-weavings
Read from August 14 to 17, 2011

This is a six-star book. Heck, call it eleven stars. Absolutely classic.

Life Together was young Dietrich Bonhoeffer's manifesto about the Christian community, written as he was leading an underground seminary for the confessing church under Nazi German rule. The members of the seminary knew that they would be executed if they were found; Bonhoeffer was martyred in the process.

Still, the book deals with the everyday nature of conflict and falling short between one person and another; it drives us into deeper relationship and forgiveness and community.

I'll teach from this book in academic and lay coursework around spiritual formation in communities and networks. It's a bit Lutheran and liturgical in some spots for some readers, but it's overwhelmingly powerful throughout.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Together.

08/14/2011 page 22
17.0% "Re-re-re-re-reading... 5th time through this copy. Getting hard to see through all the notes I've written in it."
08/14/2011 page 58
45.0% "Chapter 1 on Community is a masterpiece."
08/16/2011 page 100
78.0% "The first chapter is the best of the book, by far. However, every chapter has profound insight that I'm digging into."
12/16/2016 marked as: read