Alex ♈'s Reviews > Cocky Roomie

Cocky Roomie by Faleena Hopkins

Update 8 / 5 / 18

I dare to be COCKY enough to update my rating from 2 to 1 star.

C * C * C * C * C
O * O * O * O * O
C * C * C * C * C
K * K * K * K * K
Y * Y * Y * Y * Y

Original review 4 / 27 / 17

I liked the heroine at the beginning, but then the hormones happened…

The hero on the other hand was absurd from the beginning till the end – I like it constant! 

There are self-confident people, there are arrogant people, and there are delusional people.
He was the latter…

*My family is rich, I’m handsome, I have big c*ck that every woman wants to s*ck

Blah – blah – blah

Last 20%... I couldn’t blame it on alcohol, coz I read this book sober. But the things that happened… Me didn’t get it…

The whole family – especially the siblings – were weird.
I wonder what their parents smoked before and during conceiving…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cocky Roomie.

Started Reading
April 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 28, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)

greentreelife Yes! Yes! to this review.

Alex ♈ LOL, thank you, G.!
I read your review, we are on the same page!
Fortunately I already forgot it *lol*
I hope your next read will be a good one! ✌

message 3: by Dilek VT (new) - added it

Dilek VT Hilarious! :))) Great review, Alex, thanks for all the warning...

Alex ♈ Dilek VT wrote: "Hilarious! :))) Great review, Alex, thanks for all the warning..."

Thanks, Dilek! :-)

message 5: by Faleena (new)

Faleena Hopkins Fortunately I already forgot what I just read, too. ;)

Leo (Queen of the Rants) Wow. What a nice comment from the author herself.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura I'm surprised the author didn't try to sue!

Book-Bosomed  blog Good review Alex! :) The author's comment--not cool. :(

message 9: by Leo (Queen of the Rants) (last edited May 05, 2018 04:41PM) (new)

Leo (Queen of the Rants) Well, no wonder she’s in a controversy now B-B.
@Alex, great review!

message 10: by Book-Bosomed (last edited May 05, 2018 04:51PM) (new) - added it

Book-Bosomed  blog Leonor wrote: "Well, no wonder she’s in a controversy now B-B.
@Alex, great review!"

Oh I missed the controversy (been out of the loop this week). Good thing I saw it now because authors who behave unprofessionally go on my won't-read list. ;-)

Leo (Queen of the Rants) I just found out myself! Lol

message 12: by Kiki (new)

Kiki Wait, the author has selective amnesia? I hope that doesn’t effect the quality of her writing.
Oh, and it’s surprising how she didn’t forget about the trademark business with this kind of memory.

PointedlyBlunt Helpful review, Alex. Any time an author makes comments like this, they automatically go on my do not read list. It’s too petty.

@Leonor What’s this about the author in a controversy? I’m curious now.

message 14: by Book-Bosomed (last edited May 05, 2018 05:00PM) (new) - added it

Book-Bosomed  blog Leonor wrote: "I just found out myself! Lol
I’ve been out of Facebook for a couple of days and then today I login and she’s everywhere."

Same here. I was busy in the non-reading world most of this week and just now playing catch-up. So the pieces I'm getting is that she commented on low star reviews and is trying to copyright a word??? Is she for real? I worked in publishing for almost a decade and day 1 info to know--you can't copyright titles. Snarky comments on reviews by the author is also a big no-no that's seriously frowned upon by any halfway reputable publisher and their PR team. ;-)

message 15: by Leo (Queen of the Rants) (last edited May 05, 2018 04:59PM) (new)

Leo (Queen of the Rants) Apparently she trademarked the word “Cocky” and now she’s sending threatening letters to other authors that has the title “Cocky” in their book. She’s threatening to sue them if they don’t remove it from their book. It’s all over Facebook.

message 16: by Leo (Queen of the Rants) (last edited May 05, 2018 05:02PM) (new)

Leo (Queen of the Rants) She also think her readers (the ones that like her books) are dumb because they get confused buying her books with other authors books with the same title. She doesn’t want her readers to lose money buying other books. At least that’s the excuse she’s giving. Lol

Book-Bosomed  blog Leonor wrote: "Apparently she trademarked the word “Cocky” and now she’s sending threatening letters to other authors that has the title “Cocky” in their book. She’s threatening to sue them. It’s all over Facebook."
OMG! Any halfway decent attorney would tell her that's money down the drain. Or better spent on reputable and professional marketing instead. lol

message 18: by Leo (Queen of the Rants) (last edited May 05, 2018 05:05PM) (new)

Leo (Queen of the Rants) It seems like it’s working some authors have starting to remove the title. They’re losing money but she said she’s not hurting anyone and they should be happy that they get to keep the money they made from her trademark word.
It’s just crazy!

Sorry Alex, I’m commenting on something that it’s not the book related.

message 19: by Kiki (new)

Kiki Other attorneys believe she may not be seeking legal counsel at all.

message 20: by Kiki (new)

Kiki Oh and this gets even better
Read Faleena's 1-star review of The Bodyguard by Elena Davinski

Book-Bosomed  blog This is totally running through my head right now:

Oh and the fact that you can not copyright titles. I hope other authors aren't being taken in by this hack.

And as always, thanks for the honest review Alex!

PointedlyBlunt Just found this: http://www.pajiba.com/think_pieces/co...

She trademarked the word “cocky” when it’s in a specific font (that happens to be copyrighted by a man from the UK). So unless the other authors have the EXACT same font and the word cocky in the title, she has no rights. The information she’s threatening authors with isn’t true. Basically, she’s a scam artist.

*Patting myself on the back for never reading any of this woman’s books because I don’t support conniving bullies that clearly have issues with stability.*

Leo (Queen of the Rants) PointedlyBlunt wrote: "Just found this: http://www.pajiba.com/think_pieces/co...

She trademarked the word “cocky” w..."

Good to know this and hopefully the authors that she has sent this letters have been aware of this. Me too have not read her books. Believe me I’ve check!

message 24: by Kiki (last edited May 05, 2018 07:16PM) (new)

Kiki PointedlyBlunt wrote: "Just found this: http://www.pajiba.com/think_pieces/co...

She trademarked the word “cocky” w..."

Also, by doing this, she trademarked a copyrighted font without the owner’s permission. Therefore if the owner seeks legal counsel, this author herself also may never be able to use the title “cocky” in that font. So if she does win against numerous authors and bully them to remove the titles, she may end up with a title she’s also ineligible to use.

message 25: by Kiki (new)

Kiki Book-Bosomed wrote: "This is totally running through my head right now:

And as always, thanks for the hone..."

Can you copyright a plot or character name?

PointedlyBlunt I have a feeling this is going to come back and bite her in the ass.

Book-Bosomed  blog Kiki wrote: "Can you copyright a plot or character name? "
I worked with mostly non-fiction titles when I was in the industry so I can't say I ever directly encountered questions on plot and character names as I did with book titles (and photos). As far as the content in the book though, you can only file copyright on basically new material. For example, if you include a poem or song lyrics (even if you have the proper permissions which is another issue) or anything that copyright has already been filed on, the Copyright office will reject your application if you don't list the exclusions on that section of the form and you'll have to resubmit. Titles are sorta treated like marketing materials though. And a quick search of any common book title would tell an author that replicas are obviously allowed. You don't need a copyright attorney for that.

Book-Bosomed  blog Kiki wrote: "Oh and this gets even better
Read Faleena's 1-star review of The Bodyguard by Elena Davinski

OMG! Well I haven't read the other book so I can't comment on her claims but I'm sure of one thing--her review violates GR's review guidelines and should be flagged/removed as it does not discuss the book but attacks the author.

message 29: by Kiki (new)

Kiki Book-Bosomed wrote: "Kiki wrote: "Oh and this gets even better
Read Faleena's 1-star review of The Bodyguard by Elena Davinski
OMG! Well I haven't read the other book ..."

Book-Bosomed  blog Kiki wrote: "I find it hilarious how she compares herself with Woody Allen and Ben Affleck, both men were bullies and both men have sexual assault charges against them. "
Definitely not men who I'd want to join the ranks of.

Sahana I have never heard of this author before today and I will never read her books thanks to her 'cocky' attitude.

Alex ♈ Wow, so many new comments 😁
Author's comment on my review - I just ignored it, not my level and I don't want to lower it.
As to the whole story with 'cocky' - ridiculous and unprofessional. I hope other authors come together and kick it back!
I will NEVER read any book by this person. NEVER!

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura She sounds unstable!

message 34: by Emma (new)

Emma Kiki wrote: "I find it hilarious how she compares herself with Woody Allen and Ben Affleck, both men were bullies and both men have sexual assault charges against them. "

Wow. Where did she make this comparison? What person with any sense of empathy or personal integrity wants to compare themselves with these guys?

I had read the blurb of this book ages ago and decided against picking it up. Glad I dodged a bullet. Thanks for taking one for the team Alex. Lovely review.

Alex ♈ Emma wrote: "Kiki wrote: "I find it hilarious how she compares herself with Woody Allen and Ben Affleck, both men were bullies and both men have sexual assault charges against them. "

Wow. Where did she make t..."

Thanks, Emma!
As many readers I won't ever read any book by this person. Never. And yes, the blurb was clear, I didn't pay much attention I guess...

message 36: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Toussaint Alex, you're naughty😂

message 37: by Emma (new)

Emma Alex ♈ wrote: "And yes, the blurb was clear, I didn't pay much attention I guess"

Oh I was not casting any aspersions over you choosing to read this. I have read (and even enjoyed) books with worse blurbs.

Alex ♈ Sarah wrote: "Alex, you're naughty😂"

Yes, I am! Naughty and cocky :-))) - it's me *lol*

Alex ♈ Emma wrote: "Alex ♈ wrote: "And yes, the blurb was clear, I didn't pay much attention I guess"

I did it to myself *lol*, I need to pay more attention to the blurbs - it would save me a lot of time, money and nerves :-)))

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma I often ignore the blurb. Though I am currently trying to decide if I can get past the blurb to read her cocky doctors in order to support a writer who had her book taken down by amazon over this whole mess.

message 41: by Bubu (new) - rated it 1 star

Bubu Message 5 here: How petty and unprofessional do you have to be as an author to comment on a negative review long before the shitstorm started? That alone says so much about her.

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ Kiki wrote: "Oh and this gets even better
Read Faleena's 1-star review of The Bodyguard by Elena Davinski

I flagged this review. I've actually never flagged a review before but that is shit.

message 43: by Kiki (new)

Kiki @emma on her goodreads profile she has a brief biography that she’s going to make her own movie, like many of her peers I.e. woody Allen and Ben Affleck she’ll be joining that rank.

message 44: by Emma (new)

Emma It is not that I did not believe you but thanks for answering. I just read the profile and wow. Seems like she is not aware that women have done it too. Just off the top of my head Sofia Coppola and Sarah Polley come to mind. I have not checked if they actually directed their own stuff but I think so. And if not those two then there a lot of other female directors out there. She is *not* blazing a path for women.

Alex ♈ Bubu wrote: "Message 5 here: How petty and unprofessional do you have to be as an author to comment on a negative review long before the shitstorm started? That alone says so much about her."

After all what happened I'm not even surprised anymore. I know she commented on other negative reviews... No comments... 😱

message 46: by Kiki (new)

Kiki Emma wrote: "It is not that I did not believe you but thanks for answering. I just read the profile and wow. Seems like she is not aware that women have done it too. Just off the top of my head Sofia Coppola an..."

I didn't even wanna touch the topic of her exclusion of female directors, without risking my head exploding.
However, her peers? Abuser of women and bullies.
Need we say more?

message 47: by Emma (new)

Emma Yeah there is an awful lot of whacky things she has done/said. I try to be generous of spirit but she is making it hard.

message 48: by J. (new)

J. Taylor What is worse is all the people who do support her in this. She should be boycotted, her behaviour is unacceptable

Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance I think we should all comment on her negative review of the bodyguard, as @Lei posted above, and call her out for what she is. What the audacity??? I’m?? So confused?? You can’t fucking trademark a word bitch

Ivana - Diary of Difference I have just recently heard about this and I am speechless. What she did and what she is currently doing is not okay in so many ways! Not only unethical, but also terribly mean and selfish in so many ways... I also heard that Amazon has deleted reviews of people that have given one-stars and used cocky in their description. Who does that? In all honestly, I feel sorry for her... How is she going to stand up in front of her colleague authors and expect to be appreciated.. Never will that happen. She just threw her career down the toilet with this burlesque.

« previous 1