Kathleen Valentine's Reviews > On Rue Tatin: Living and Cooking in a French Town

On Rue Tatin by Susan Herrmann Loomis

This started out really good but bogged down toward the end -- it seemed she was trying a bit too hard to find things to write about by the last few chapters. But most of the book is very entertaining. I found her chapters about the discovery of the old convent, the process of purchasing it, and the restoration quite wonderful. And I very much enjoyed her descriptions of village life and learning to get along with the quirky, eccentric neighbors. I had just read I'll Never Be French which is also about an American who moves to France and buys a dilapidated old house in a quaint village so the comparison was interesting. Mark Greenside is by far the better writer but Susan Herrmann Loomis had a more interesting story to tell. I sort of wished they had combined efforts!

Definitely worth the read though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Rue Tatin.

Finished Reading
August 14, 2011 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Dianne (new)

Dianne This looks good

Kathleen Valentine So far I really like it. It's a little eerie to me because, in the story, the woman and her husband move from Maine to France, and buy an old convent that her husband, a sculptor, proceeds to renovate. In my novel Each Angel Burns, Maggie moves from France to Maine and buys an old convent that she proceeds to renovate -- she's a sculptor. Pretty weird!

message 3: by Dianne (new)

Dianne That is eerie. I am going over her blog Thankfully she has recipes on it her cookbooks look great I think I may be in trouble

Maureen Flatley Kath - must read of the summer. The House in France by Gully Wells! Fabulous!

Kathleen Valentine I looked at that, Maureen, and wondered if I had hit my saturation point on living-in-France books. I got tired of living-in-Italy books a couple years ago. But I'll take a look!