Heather K (dentist in my spare time)'s Reviews > Back Piece

Back Piece by L.A. Witt

*3.5 stars*

I read a lot of L.A. Witt books (about 25 , if you include all of her pen names), but my average rating for her hovers around 3-stars. I always like her stuff, but rarely do I LOVE her solo works. However, Back Piece ranks up there with my favorite books from her. In fact, if it wasn't so draggy through the middle, I'd be practically ecstatic.

It really helps that Back Piece has a couple of my personal favorite tropes. For one, we get a virgin. Me and virgins... dreamy sigh. I have a virgin kink that doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon, so if you give me an eager virgin, I'll practically melt on the pages. +1 point for that, L.A. Witt.

I also like military men but hate romantic suspense. Now, that is a conundrum. Basically, I like military men in contemporary romances, and this book fit that bill to a T.

I think we get a really nice build-up here to a truly lovely romance. Both men have a lot of baggage, and there is a LOT to angst over, but I liked how the author dealt with their issues. There are a couple of themes that we don't often see with men in romance, but I liked them in the story and thought they brought depth to the characters.

Sure, we get the homophobic parents theme, but although I've read it time and time again, the reality is that it is something that is still all too prevalent in our world. I didn't love the drama at the end and the slowness in the middle, but I was willing to overlook those facts because I found the romance to be really satisfying.

Hot tattooed men + virgin + military = I'm a happy camper. L.A. Witt made me smile with this one.

*Copy provided in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back Piece.

April 27, 2017 – Started Reading