Biblio Curious's Reviews > The Kalevala: Or, Poems of the Kaleva District

The Kalevala by Elias Lönnrot

bookshelves: ancient-global-epic-project

The backstory of how this epic came to be is also fascinating & is riddled with language awesomeness. Women have important roles to play. And sometimes, men are simply buffoons. It's such a wonderful change of pace from these old epics to see women hold their own so well. In the early parts, among my favourite are when the man is newly created, he actually takes time to stop and think. He reflects on what he should do. When he stops thinking, that's when everything falls apart for him. There's still quite a few surprises in this hilarious, wisdom pack romp of a good time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kalevala.

April 27, 2017 – Shelved
April 27, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 27, 2017 – Shelved as: ancient-global-epic-project
September 10, 2018 – Started Reading
September 10, 2018 –
page 13
2.95% "This creation story from the 1st song is good for the soul. * pure bliss *"
September 17, 2018 –
page 150
34.09% "This is the 1st epic that reads like a party! It even has a song devoted to the 'Creation of Beer' What a delight this is!"
September 18, 2018 –
page 200
45.45% "2 songs for ethics? One for women & one for men? Then the outcome, The Kalevala was way ahead of its time, or these truly are immortal troubles to plague us since we dropped a hoe in soil or ladies learned the art of crafting beer. Notice the old school patriarchy language here? (I have a feeling women have something up their sleeves still. They're a cool bunch in this book!!)"
September 20, 2018 – Finished Reading