Emily May's Reviews > Chain Reaction

Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles

Aug 14, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, romance, 2011, contemporary
Read from August 20 to 22, 2011

I am terribly sceptical when it comes to books that define themselves simply as 'romance'. I like romantic subplots in science-fiction, in historical-fiction and in mystery - in fact, in just about anything - but straight-up romance? Can't say I've ever been a big fan. But there will always be exceptions, like Anna and the French Kiss for example. This is one such exception.

This is mindless, sexy teenage fun. With emphasis on the sexy. That cover look steamy to you? Wait until you see what this has inside. No joke, this book is seriously hot, if you're put off by anything more than kissing and holding hands then you're nothing like me better off finding something else to read.

The two main characters are interesting, likeable and relatable (especially Nikki), and best of all: they are refreshingly far from perfect. I don't know how many times I've read both adult and young adult romances and the characters are all flawlessly charming - though, naturally, Luis is sex-on-a-stick ;)

Also, this story follows a similar theme to Perfect Chemistry, and probably Rules of Attraction too but I haven't read that one yet. If you liked the first then you will probably like this book, and personally, I much preferred this story. In Perfect Chemistry I wasn't too impressed with the ridiculously over-cliched characters: good girl cheerleader and bad boy gang member, I acknowledged that the chemistry was sizzling and that the book was reasonably entertaining but, um, I might as well have just watched Grease.

Chain Reaction had more original characters. Luis, a science genius who longs to one day become an astronaut if he can only break away from his family's violent past and gang involvement; and Nikki, a girl who was knocked up and dumped by a guy who left her to join the mexican gangs, and who now fears relationships with boys, particularly those with connections to the 'Latino Blood'.

This is definitely my favourite of the two books I've read in the series, though I intend to read Rules of Attraction pretty soon. This book is for those looking for something pleasant and light with an inevitable happy ending.

Many thanks to Lindsey for letting me borrow this :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chain Reaction.

08/20/2011 page 13

message 1: by Giselle (new)

Giselle I've got this series on my reader. Are the first 2 any good? Or all they all just meh?

Alyssa I'm excited to see this review. The first book was great, the second was meh, and this one looks...semi-promising. I hope you have lots of good things to say :)

Emily May I haven't read the second but personally I enjoyed this a lot more than Perfect Chemistry. I thought PC was cute and sexy but very cliche with the bad boy gang member and good girl cheerleader thing going on.

This had the stuff I liked about the first book but with more originality to the story IMO. I really think you'll both like it :)

message 4: by Giselle (new)

Giselle So they don't need to be read in sequence?

Emily May Not really. Some GR members say it's better if you do but there wasn't anything I didn't understand.

Adison Read them in order. It'll ruin the endings! Perfect Chemistry, Rules of Attraction, Chain Reaction. NO exceptions. Read them in order.

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ That's what I love about Elkeles, she makes the best endings :3

message 8: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars