Penelope's Reviews > The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 8: The Castafiore Emerald / Flight 714 to Sydney / Tintin and the Picaros / Tintin and Alph-Art

The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 8 by Hergé

Aug 14, 2011

bookshelves: graphic-novels, summer-11

I've never read any of the Tintin comics, and this so happened to be the one I picked up at the library. After I began reading, it became obvious that many previous adventures laid the groundwork for the ones in this collection (i.e. characters re-introduced from previous stories, character developments that were mentioned in previous stories, etc). Nonetheless, I got to know the characters quickly and everything was explained (or implied) well enough that I wasn't confused. Herge is a great story-teller and I immediately felt myself drawn into Tintin's adventures.

I think my favorite part of all the stories was the mixture of adventure and humor. A "serious" plot is seamlessly intermingled with bouts of complete absurdity, and the dialogue is perfect.

I liked all three stories in this collection, but The Castafiore Emerald was my favorite...it was just so silly at times, but an interesting mystery.

Will definitely be reading more Tintin. Not sure why it took me so long in the first place!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 8.

Started Reading