Kelly 's Reviews > Freedom

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

Aug 14, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: family-issues, fiction, friendship, love-story

I certainly did not love this book the way the critics and Oprah did. It reminded me of Anne Tyler's Amateur Marriage. This story is a LONG saga that follows Patty and Walter, their kids, the demise of their marriage and their eventual reunion (because they have no one else left to turn is how I see it). Despite Franzen offering many plot developments(rape, affairs, neglectful parents, disobedient children, environmental issues, disagreements with neighbors, women's rights, education, death and grief), I found the story boring and didn't feel much connection to the characters. I think this story has been told many times before, and although some say Franzen provides a good period piece (late 60's to today), others have done it better, and I don't think this story needs to be told again in this same way. Why did Oprah pick this book? Oh, yeah, Franzen snubbed her pick of his book The Corrections (which did deserve the acclaim it received for its wit and satire), so I guess she wanted to try again with him. She had to prove he would accept her invitation this time, I guess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freedom.