Sud666's Reviews > Klaus

Klaus by Grant Morrison

bookshelves: comics

Grant Morrison takes on Santa Claus. No this is not some strange made-for-tv-movie plot. The British comic book writer has linked his impressive writing talents with the beautiful art style of Dan Mora. The result is a gorgeous Graphic Novel telling the story of Santa.

Into the town of Grimsving a wandering trader of fur pelts comes. But the nice, welcoming town is not the same anymore. Something terrible has happened. Thus starts the tale of Klaus. Klaus, a former soldier of the old Baron, has left society to live his life in the woods. His only companion is a feral white wolf named Lilli. But during aforementioned run-in with the authorities it seems Klaus and the spirits of Yule have something planned. Within Grimsving the new Baron Magnus has taken control with an iron fist. The men are all working in the mines, the baron's spoiled son is the only one allowed toys and his frigid and shallow wife cares nothing for the lower classes. The people need a hero, someone to fight for their Yuletide. But, there are other events that necessitate the coming of a hero, for the Baron is not acting alone. Inside of a black tome of magic he finds an "ally" who will help him to win the Throne. I shall not spoil the rest of the story with the whos, whats and whys. If that is what you desire-read this book.

I enjoyed Grant Morrison's version of Klaus. While the Baron and his son are something of a caricature, they seem to work within the confines of what this story is. It is the retelling of one of the most beloved Children's folktales' origin story. In that sense, it draws from Batman:Year One in that we have a hero who is not completely the legend he eventually becomes. The character of Klaus and the Baron Magnus are both very well done. In fact the only person who I did not care for at all is the Baroness. I can understand the young Baronet being spoiled rotten (his mother really is of no help). But for her to have turned her back on Klaus and believed Magnus's lies, even after growing up with Klaus, makes her the least sympathetic person in the story. Her venal attitude has allwed her husband to become a cruel, rapacious, greedy tyrant. All the while she has done nothing, other than wander around exuding nonchalance. Still this story brims with some great characters, not all are good. Morrison's imagination is quite broad and I, for one, am glad he brought it to this retelling of the Klaus story.

The art of Dan Mora is excellent and fits this story perfectly. The version of the Graphic Novel I bought, has gold leaf pages and is of an excellent quality. I was very impressed with this gorgeous graphic novel. I can not recommend this one enough to anyone who loves a good tale.

Klaus

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Klaus.

April 26, 2017 – Started Reading
April 26, 2017 – Shelved
April 26, 2017 – Shelved as: comics
April 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Donovan (new) - added it

Donovan Nice review. I need to move this up on my list.

message 2: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish Sounds very interesting, thanks for the rec.

David Schaafsma Thanks, will read!