Shelley's Reviews > Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

Aug 14, 2011

Read from August 14 to 17, 2011

I loved this book and the characters. It is definately one of my all time favorites. I saw the movie back in 1991 and remember loving it, but I haven't seen it since, so I have no recollection how different it is to the book. I lived in Alabama for 8 years from 2000 - 2008 and actually lived around 45 minutes from Whistle Stop Cafe (yes it is still there even though the story says it shut down) and unfortunately only got there once (how I regret that now). I wasn't impressed with their food, but then again I'm not a great lover of the south's food. I much prefer to chew my vegetables instead of just eating them mushy or fried, but there are a few foods that I truly loved and one of them being fried green tomatoes (and their candied yams and of course their fried chicken). The restaurant's fried green tomatoes were the best I ever had in AL. But back to the book, this story was delightful, and I felt like I was right there with them. Fannie Flagg is definately a gifted writer and this is definately a classic!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.