Marta Barrales's Reviews > The Sea of Monsters

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

bookshelves: favorites
Read 2 times. Last read October 11, 2017 to October 12, 2017.

“Families are messy. Immortal families are eternally messy. Sometimes the best we can do is to remind each other that we're related for better or for worse...and try to keep the maiming and killing to a minimum.”

The thing about the first two Percy Jackson books is, and this is totally my take on them, that they’re more careless and funny than the ones which come after. I think it might have to do with the fact that in these two the characters are still very young and haven’t yet experienced the most difficult trials that await them; it’s kind of a similar feeling I get from the first three book in other similar middle-grade series such as Harry Potter.

Having stated that, I can only say I really loved this book. It has the same funny ancient Greek and popular culture clash that made the first one so unique, the same bad puns and rambling internal monologue that is Percy’s mind, and while it manages to maintain the charm of the previous book it also includes new characters and expands the demigods’ world in such an effortless and funny way.

It turned out to be a very quick read for me this second time around, again I fell in love with the same old character and the new ones, and like all other books on this series it didn’t fail to bring a smile to my face most of the time I was reading.

I don’t want to say much else, the truth is when I first read this book, back in my high school years I didn’t know much about the plot and it suited me fine, I just didn’t care beyond the fact that it was a sequel and I needed to know what happened to everyone. I hope it’s enough for you too, but if you have read The Lightning Thief and enjoyed it then I guess I don’t need to convince you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Monsters.

Quotes Marta Liked

Rick Riordan
“But how did you know where we were?" Annabeth asked.

Advanced planning, my dear. I figured you would wash up near Miami if you made it out of the Sea of Monsters alive. Almost everything strange washes up near Miami.”
Rick Riordan, The Sea of Monsters