Dan Salerno's Reviews > Assimilate or Go Home: Notes from a Failed Missionary on Rediscovering Faith

Assimilate or Go Home by D.L. Mayfield

D.L. Mayfield's Assimilate or Go Home starts off as a journal of her missionary journey as a teen, to living with and being a part of her neighbors' lives.

Mayfield's path is unassuming and modest and fraught with self-doubt. But it turns out to be a powerful witness to the reality of God's love. And it allows her, in the final chapters of her book, to speak out with an authenticity that is crystal clear.

"To be the one in need. It confirms that this is quite possibly the only posture that Christians in this day and age can take, to be in a place where we freely admit our shortcomings, where we desperately need our neighbor. A place where we throw off the voices telling us to insulate ourselves from both the great brokenness of the world and the burning fire that is the love of God."

I have read more than a few missionary-type journal stories in my lifetime, but Mayfield's hit my heart like no other.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assimilate or Go Home.

April 26, 2017 – Started Reading