Katie's Reviews > Former.ly: The Rise and Fall of a Social Network

Former.ly by Dane Cobain

F 50x66

Humble beginnings for tech start - up Former.ly, with founder, John Mayer, giving an informal job interview to our protagonist, Dan.
You can't say any of the characters are Orthodox. Certainly not Former.ly, which, soon after Dan joins, moves to an office and expands into a much bigger business.
The initial characters (Flick, Kerry, Abhi, John, Paul) are not too out of place they take over the opening chapters, and stop us from getting to know Dan, and his likable girlfriend, Sarah.
Shit does get serious, as a journo ends up dead, and so too do, gradually, staff members of Former.ly.
As the business gets even bigger, the founders are needing more money, investors, and become ruthless.
The book reminds me of a Hitchcock movie, with introductions dispensed with, and the story becoming darker.
Former.ly moves offices to California, and Dan is being run into the ground, and has little time for anything, other than work.
Cobain knows how to use a cliff hanger, and the hours flew by as I reached the end of Former.ly in one sitting.
(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Former.ly.

Finished Reading