Bradley's Reviews > A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers

A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers by Alyssa Wong

bookshelves: 2017-shelf, fantasy, sci-fi

Hands-down, totally gorgeous, kick you in the crotch, will not dare to pretend you're a stupid reader, DANGEROUS story.

I love it!

There are way too few stories like this, full of heart and anger and frustration flowing incomprehensibly from either hyperbole or from gigantic world-destroying energies and permutations of time travel and godlike powers. Could be just one. Could be both. Who knows? From one way to read it, it could just be a pair of very volatile sisters that FEEL life so strongly, so loudly, so deeply, that it feels like the world is tearing up beneath their feet in a louder way than going super sayan. OR all these fantasic fantasy elements are perfectly real and they can reset reality after crashing it like a misplaced memory address in a computer.

I mean, WOW.

And it doesn't really end there, either, because the hints in the story and the revealed clarity of tragedy and hate and wild abandon in the face of wrongs done to us gives REALITY to either reading and it even choked me up.

Bravo, bravo, bravo.

This ain't a traditional story by a long shot, but it is a truly fantastic wild ride, like reaping the whirlwind from within the scythe. :)

Barring other reads, this might be my top pick for the short story Hugo noms for '17.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers.

April 26, 2017 – Started Reading
April 26, 2017 – Shelved
April 26, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-shelf
April 26, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
April 26, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi
April 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Philip Probably my favorite short story of the year. :) I hope you enjoy her nominated novelette too, I like it even more.

message 2: by Jenny, (new)

Jenny, The Distracted Bee Epic title!

Trish Right?! I discovered this last year thanks to Tadiana and LOVED IT. :D So happy it's nominated for a HUGO.

Bradley It's pretty damn amazing and I feel ashamed I've not been reading Alyssa Wong until now. She's one to WATCH. :)

Trish Yes, BE ASHAMED.

Bradley Fine, fine! Now, where is that collection of her stories...? Oh, wait... *cry*

Trish *lol* Yeah. But I have a few of hers if you want them.

Bradley I've read permutations and drown, so I'll eagerly grab the links for anything else. :)

Trish Not sure if I still have the links but I can offer you the files. ;) Once I'm home that is.

Bradley Okay!
Sounds good!

message 11: by Emmanuelle (new) - added it

Emmanuelle So, Alyssa Wong seems to be the next 'to-read' author!

Bradley This is my overly enthusiastic opinion, yes! :)

Trish I second that!

message 14: by Emmanuelle (new) - added it

Emmanuelle Well, how can I resist such enthusiasm! off I go adding all her books to my 'read' list!

Bradley I think they're all just shorter stories. I'd love to get a real book out of her. :)

message 16: by Emmanuelle (new) - added it

Emmanuelle just short stories will be fine. I read her novel and I was just *mind blown*, if all her stories are of this same quality, I will have great pleasure reading them!

Bradley Did she ever write a full novel?

message 18: by Emmanuelle (new) - added it

Emmanuelle Brad wrote: "Did she ever write a full novel? "

Well, seems to me this is a nice quest to undergo, what do you think Ser Brad, are we going far and away to find the marvelous novel of Alyssa Wong?
Or we can just go and check her bibliography....
Wichever sounds better ;)

Bradley As far as I can see, she has only written shorter stuff, but I may be wrong! :)