Fables&Wren's Reviews > Under Rose-Tainted Skies

Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall

WrensReads Review:

Overall, I really liked this story.
I thought it was more realistic than other mental-illness based books that I have read.

Like:
001. That Norah, our main girl, knows that she is being irrational but also knows she has to do it that way or the world will implode.. irrationally.
002. She calls herself crazy because, again, she knows that what she is doing is not necessary but at the same time it is necessary and she has to do it. Mental illness is weird.
003. Luke, our main dude, reacts the same way we would when Norah has an episode: wide-eyed, cautious and just wanting to help her get through whatever she is doing.
004. I really appreciated the fact that the boy didn't "cure" the girl. That's my main enjoyment of this whole book. Too many books have people being "cured" by getting in a relationship. That's not how life works.
005. I also really appreciated that it was more focused on her being able to do baby steps when she had companionship beyond her mother and her therapist. She can cope with the two women who have dedicated themselves to helping her, but she can slowly rewire herself the more helps she gets. That's important. As someone who deals with my own type(s) of mental illness, it is so important to have a handful of people to keep you afloat.
006. The narrator, Pheobe Strole, did a phenomenal job.
007. The relationship between Norah and her mother was what touched my heart the most. I think it's because it reminded me of my relationship with my mother and I wanted to drive five hours to go give my mom a hug.

Didn't Like:
001. The writing was a little young for my taste, but it was still enjoyable. I think I would have rated it lower actually reading it; but Pheobe Strole did such a great job that it didn't bother me as much as it usually would have.

And the ending? My goodness, you do not expect something that insane to happen with such a happy-looking book. You don't expect your jaw to drop (yes, mine did physically drop) and go "is this really happening or is she imagining the absolute worst scenario?" It was happening. I died.

Also, a little P.S. here: You can't say things like "that's now how mental illness works" because all mental illnesses are different. Even if I had voices talking inside my head and you had voices talking inside your head, our likeness ends there. How I get better and how I deal is going to be different from how you get better and how you deal. Individuality people. It's a thing. Which is why you can't rationalize someone's anxiety just because you also deal with anxiety.

WrensReads | Goodreads | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Rose-Tainted Skies.

April 26, 2017 – Started Reading
April 26, 2017 – Shelved
April 26, 2017 –
90.0% "HOLY CRAP THIS TOOK A TURN"
April 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Kaylin (new) - added it

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Ooh, I've been wanting to read this one! Curious to see what you thought! :)

Fables&Wren Kaylin wrote: "Ooh, I've been wanting to read this one! Curious to see what you thought! :)"

There you go! I think you should read it! It's a nice read!

message 3: by AB (new)

AB hi wren weird my road i live on is called wren road. hashanahahahahha

Fables&Wren AB wrote: "hi wren weird my road i live on is called wren road. hashanahahahahha"

That is weird lol

message 5: by AB (new)

AB oh Wren do you know jeffrey kenteen?