Books-treasureortrash's Reviews > First Lord's Fury

First Lord's Fury by Jim Butcher

Aug 13, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, reviewed
Read 2 times. Last read August 13, 2011.

Book Review: 2 Treasure Boxes

Everyone is back on Aleran, fighting the Vord. The main characters are spread out, each with their own tale full of adventures. The story continues immediately following Princeps’ Fury

This is the final book in the Codex Alera Series. Which is a high fantasy and it takes place in the Aleran Empire in a society similar to that of ancient Rome. This book is told in the third person narrative from the various different characters point of view, but primarily from that of the main protagonist Tavi. Jim Butcher has also written numerous contemporary fantasy books, primarily the Dresden Files.

First Lord’s Fury is the exciting, nail-biting conclusion to the series, although there were a few problems with the story. There was lots of action with plenty of battle scenes, although some of these were quite gory. One character redeemed himself, but other than that there wasn’t any character development or transformations. There was the introduction of one new character, who is quite pivotal to the plot, but the new character was not fully developed.

The story was good, although a bit predictable. Also, I thought there was a fairly big plot hole* see my review. But if you overlook that, it was a satisfying ending. And the story did come to a final conclusion.

Overall I enjoyed this series. I liked how the world was developed and I thought that all the various different peoples and creatures was interesting. If you enjoy reading high fantasy, then you should definitely give The Codex Alera Series a read.

For more of my reviews (or to see what I considered a plot hole) go to: http://books-treasureortrash.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Lord's Fury.