Brenda's Reviews > Congo Dawn

Congo Dawn by Katherine Scholes

Melbourne 1964 and Anna Emerson was a secretary with a legal firm. It was a job she enjoyed, and her boss Mr Williams was a kind man. The day Anna went to have lunch in the sunshine, as she did every day, and was confronted by a stranger with an extraordinary story plus a plane ticket to the Congo, was the day Anna's life changed forever.

The urgency for Anna to go to her father's bedside - the man she hadn't seen since she was a very young girl - was upsetting for her. He was dying and wanted to see her before it was too late. Anna's emotions were all over the place - but her sense of purpose made the long flights and change of planes worth it.

When Dan Miller was approached by a Major with the aim of becoming a mercenary and heading a force into the simmering tensions of the Congo, he was initially hesitant. But with nothing to lose, Dan and the men he'd chosen to be by his side, headed into danger, not knowing if any of them would make it out alive.

With circumstances changing for Anna, she headed toward the area where the rebels were fighting, hoping all reports were wrong. The civil war was something that didn't feel real to her, coming as she did from Australia, plus she was assured she would be fine. But would she be? Her life had changed in the short time she'd been in the Congo - would she find what she was looking for?

I absolutely loved Congo Dawn! My second by Aussie author Katherine Scholes, it definitely won't be my last! An emotional story of a broken family; civil war; missionaries and a leprosy compound, mixed with kindness, love and an unfaltering hope - Congo Dawn is based on real events (the author's note at the end is interesting) and one I highly recommend - historical fiction at its best!

With thanks to Penguin AU for my copy to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Congo Dawn.

April 26, 2017 – Shelved
page 393
February 25, 2018 – Shelved as: 5000-books
February 25, 2018 – Shelved as: own-read
February 25, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

☼♄Jülie  Ooh this Anna Emerson shares my maiden name 😀

Brenda Haha! A definite read for you then Jools :)

message 3: by S.E. (new)

S.E. Gilchrist Hi Brenda - I notice this is down as historical fiction. I always get confused in relation to the 'cut off' date for terming books set in the 1900's as historical. Can you help me out please? Is there like a set number of years from current date that determines this time? thanks x

Brenda 50 years from current day Suz :) So because this is set in 1964 it qualifies :)

message 5: by S.E. (new)

S.E. Gilchrist Thanks Brenda. I should know its 50 years being a writer but I was never certain.
Appreciate you getting back to me.

Brenda No problems Suz :)