Kirsti's Reviews > Main Street

Main Street by Sinclair Lewis

Apr 09, 2008

bookshelves: fiction
Read in April, 2008

I know many people complain that not much happens in this book, and I am not the most patient reader, but I zipped right through it. I loved the commentary on tiny, unimportant events and the way the novel shifted from the main character's point of view.

I felt sympathetic to Carol, even though she is a cold person. Not a bad person, not a mean person, but not someone who can truly connect to others. Even her son falls short because she believes he thinks like his father.

From what I have read about Sinclair Lewis, he seems to have been a cold person, too.

It's intriguing to read reviews of this book by other Goodreads members. I'm not saying others' comments are incorrect--I just saw things differently. Carol was a happy feminist before she was married? Dr. Kennicott is the real hero? Main Street is like a spinach salad? Wait, what?

Gopher Prairie is based on Sauk Centre, Minnesota. From what I can tell by looking at the Web site, it seems to be a small town with lots of boosterism and old-fashioned charm. The high school sports teams are called the Mainstreeters. Hmmmm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Main Street.