Brett Hilton's Reviews > The Prelude

The Prelude by William Wordsworth

U 50x66
Aug 13, 2011

liked it

I probably like the idea behind The Prelude - the development of the mind and its worthiness of an epic - more than I actually enjoyed reading this text. I found the English of this text more difficult to read than that of Paradise Lost for some reason, despite its relative youth. As such, it took me a very long time to get through the poem in its entirety. I did enjoy the "spots of time", though, where Wordsworth makes connections between the experiential and the spiritual or universal and remarks on his development as a poet. They crop up every now and then and at times can be quite funny - I saw a dog breathe, and within that breathe I saw the soul of the universe!

My favorite part of The Prelude is Wordsworth's scathing critique of Cambridge University in one of the earliest books (chapters) of the poem. He expresses disappointment in the school and the lack of intellectual stimulation to be found in his teachers and fellow students, despite the school's awesome history (Newton, Milton, etc.).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prelude.

07/17/2016 marked as: read