JoAnne's Reviews > Directions of the Heart: A Romantic Drama Collection

Directions of the Heart by Marie Lavender

Marie Lavender is an author I've previously read and enjoyed especially her Heiresses in Love series.

Directions of the Heart was not what I was expecting especially since there were 4 complete stories included in the book and each one was set in different locales and in different venues. Each had a couple looking for love but had a trauma or traumas in their life that brought them to this point. There were sensitive topics that were handled well but still gave an edge to the story and often made my heart clutch or race. The characters in each of the books was trying to reclaim their lives especially if they didn't like themselves too much. If they couldn't understand themselves they didn't think anyone else would be able to.

There were family and friends but also some depraved people in the stories, heartache, fear, sadness, tears, anger, hate, hope, a chance for happiness, healing and peace. There was a nice flow to each of the stories and the characters were multifaceted. What you saw wasn't always what you got and you had to delve deeper under the surface. All the stories had nice closure and I felt the endings were realistic.

The hardest characters for me to like were in Strange Heat. I had a hard time liking them since they didn't seem to like themselves. Lyssa put herself into dangerous situations and Victoria, much more naive, seemed to follow in her footsteps but got herself into some ugly situations as well.

Lavender is an author whose books I look forward to reading. I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Directions of the Heart.

Started Reading