Lil Bit's Reviews > Sweet Water

Sweet Water by Christina Baker Kline

2011207

** spoiler alert ** Interesting and excellent read. Good character development. I like how the story is told with the main character and then through journal entries of the deceased mother and living grandmother. I like that the main character is searching for answers. As a sculptor, she designs an art piece with many different body parts that are hollow inside. She ultimately plans to put the pieces together to form three women. In my opinion, this references her need to discover the other two important women in her life. She believes that once her hollow pieces all come together, the women will be made whole together as well. At the end, while searching for her own inner peace, the grandmother destroys the pieces before they can be put together. After doing this, she is able to begin opening up to her granddaughter and you finish the book hoping that the granddaughter will get the answers she needs to connect her families past and feel whole inside.
There are many other symbolic references in this book as well. For example, The fact that she decides to make the clay from the ground rather than buy from the store. This References her need to get to the root of her origin, find out why the women in her family act the way they do and ultimately why she does herself. Personally, although not needed to tell the story, I would have liked a little bit more character development and insight on the character Elaine.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Water.

April 24, 2017 – Started Reading