Craig's Reviews > The Neverending Story

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

Read 2 times. Last read April 19, 2015.

Third in my series of "movies that were made into books" is The Neverending Story, which was apparently originally written in German. The things we learn when we actually read stuff, huh?

Anyway, on with the story. The tale, as I imagine most people know from the film, revolves about a young boy named Bastian who begins reading a book that ends up being a lot more real than he could ever have imagined. One of the really neat things is that the "real-world" bits are printed in black ink, and the "story-within-the-story" bits are printed in a kind of coppery gold ink. (Though I have to admit it's a bit hard on the eyes after a few hundred pages.) I thought this was pretty spiffy and original, though perhaps not strictly necessary. Still, nice.

Overall, I'd say the story really should have been divided into two parts - the "saving Fantastica" part, and the "Bastian learns more about himself" part. The first part was quite good, suitably epic and exciting, but I have to admit I found the second part quite lackluster. The wonderfully imaginative world-building is present throughout the book, but I personally didn't care for the meandering, not-so-goal-driven "introspection." Plus, Bastian turns into a bit of a prick. There's kind of a logical reason for this, and he redeems himself in the end, but I thought it was awfully forced anyway.

To sum up, I think if the book had been split into two parts, I'd have loved the first part and skipped the second part.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Neverending Story.

Started Reading