Gregory Close's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Aug 13, 2011

liked it
Read from August 13 to October 24, 2011

If you are a fan of Rothfuss and this series, you will read this and you will probably enjoy most of it (as I did). However, even as a big fan I was left dumbfounded by some of the content (the faerie escapades, most notably) as well as the meandering nature of the narrative and recurring all-too-convenient plot devices. It had moments of pure brilliance, but it did not achieve that level consistently. I'm still a fan, and I'm still buying the next book in this series. All in all, weighed against the strength of it's predecessor and my high expectations, this one just fell a little bit flat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.

August 13, 2011 – Started Reading
August 13, 2011 – Shelved
September 20, 2011 –
page 83
October 10, 2011 –
page 283
28.47% "First 100 pages I was skeptical if it was going to live up to original. Skepticism evaporating as I'm sucked back into the world/plot/characters."
October 11, 2011 –
page 412
41.45% "Yup. Hook, line and sinker. I'm either relieved or annoyed that I can't stop reading and get some sleep. ;)"
October 13, 2011 –
page 562
56.54% "There was a conversation between Kvothe and Denna that seemed a bit contrived - like the plot drove the interaction more than the characters, and the charm of the meandering adventures of the protagonist is getting a bit strained. I still enjoy it, to be sure, but the balance between tiring and intriguing can be a tricky business."
October 17, 2011 –
page 650
65.39% "Ummmmm... Yeah. The Felurian bit. Unfortunately, this is a true Ewok Moment and tarnishes all the good stuff that came before. Ruin? No. But tarnished, certainly so."
October 19, 2011 –
page 716
72.03% "Hmmmmm. I definitely think the Felurian bit was a detriment to the narrative. Some good stuff is in there, but it's muddled in with some questionable and almost sophomoric passages. Glad to be moving on."
October 23, 2011 –
page 888
89.34% "The narrative is all over the place. It really feels unfocussed. If he wasn't such a good writer in general, he might have lost me."
October 24, 2011 – Finished Reading