Gary Inbinder's Reviews > Gorky Park

Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith

bookshelves: crime-fiction, mystery
Read 2 times. Last read March 10, 2017 to April 24, 2017.

First read more than thirty years ago, this novel held up well on a recent second reading. It's an excellent police procedural/thriller with a compelling narrative, strong characterizations and fine descriptive detail of crime, forensics and detection in Moscow toward the end of the Soviet Era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gorky Park.

January 30, 1983 – Started Reading
February 27, 1983 – Finished Reading
March 10, 2017 – Started Reading
April 24, 2017 – Shelved
April 24, 2017 – Shelved as: crime-fiction
April 24, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery
April 24, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Gary Inbinder Marita wrote: "Gary, if I remember correctly there was also a film of this novel."

Yes, Marita, there was a film with William Hurt as the Russian police inspector. It was pretty good, as I recall.

message 2: by HBalikov (new)

HBalikov I agree, Gary, there are some books that are well worth a second read ... even some thrillers. I particularly liked the next book, Polar Star, and plan to again see how Renko's exile to a fish-processing ship allows him a measure of redemption.

Gary Inbinder HBalikov wrote: "I agree, Gary, there are some books that are well worth a second read ... even some thrillers. I particularly liked the next book, Polar Star, and plan to again see how Renko's exile to a fish-proc..."

H, I was impressed by Cruz Smith's writing on first reading, and it held up well the second time around. Renko's a great character, and the shady, late Soviet Union atmosphere was very well depicted.

message 4: by HBalikov (new)

HBalikov Gary wrote: "HBalikov wrote: "I agree, Gary, there are some books that are well worth a second read ... even some thrillers. I particularly liked the next book, Polar Star, and plan to again see how Renko's exi..."

It's what I value, Gary, above most other attributes: a fiction author's ability to convey time and place.

Gary Inbinder HBalikov wrote: "Gary wrote: "HBalikov wrote: "I agree, Gary, there are some books that are well worth a second read ... even some thrillers. I particularly liked the next book, Polar Star, and plan to again see ho..."

As a writer of historical fiction, I appreciate that.

message 6: by HBalikov (new)

HBalikov Gary wrote: "HBalikov wrote: "Gary wrote: "HBalikov wrote: "I agree, Gary, there are some books that are well worth a second read ... even some thrillers. I particularly liked the next book, Polar Star, and pla..."

I will likely comment on that when I finish The Hanged Man

Gary Inbinder HBalikov wrote: "Gary wrote: "HBalikov wrote: "Gary wrote: "HBalikov wrote: "I agree, Gary, there are some books that are well worth a second read ... even some thrillers. I particularly liked the next book, Polar ..."

Thanks for reading The Hanged Man, H. I hope you like it.