Ellie (faerieontheshelf)'s Reviews > Certain Dark Things

Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

”She was standing in front of a stand selling T-shirts with the image of the Virgin on them, and the irony wasn’t lost on him that this was a vampire, right by the basilica, right by a bunch of rosaries and crucifixes and cheap plastic saints.”

Okay so I’ve been interested in this for a while, but I only really got the kick to pick it up when it was included in VE Schwab’s list of favourite fantasy novels in Oprah magazine.

I wasn’t actually too sure at first - there are a few POVs and I couldn’t totally connect with the characters, but it grew on me as the plot picked up. I loved Atl, and her Doberman Cualli.

The worldbuilding is probably my favourite aspect of the novel - it’s set in Mexico City, but it’s actually not urban fantasy as I thought? It’s more dystopian in the way the city has isolated itself from the country and the world is aware of the existence of vampires. It’s very gritty; one person called it “noir” and after some thought I agree with that. It’s also lovely to see a diverse fantasy with different takes on the vampire lore, and the uniqueness + the setting is quite interesting.

> 3.5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Certain Dark Things.

April 24, 2017 – Shelved