Daniel's Reviews > The Titan's Curse

The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

Aug 13, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: childrens-books, scifi-fantasy, young-adult

It's possible that these books are actually getting better as the series goes along, or perhaps they are just growing on me. I still find them to be slow and pandering, but the long-range plot has finally developed enough that it grows interesting.

Unfortunately, I still don't enjoy the idea of a book that relies on a second (or third or fourth) book to complete the story. I know it's a growing trend and that many books do this, but I still don't enjoy it.

Once again, there was plenty of action, yet the book still seemed to move at a snail's pace. We rely on all the other characters to fill us in on Greek mythology by explaining everything to Percy. I completely understand that most people (especially the youngsters to whom this book is aimed) aren't particularly familiar with Greek mythology (especially some of the 'lesser' characters), but it still seems a cheap way of getting the information to the reader. Perhaps this is why I continue to feel that the books is slow -- the action is stopped to inform.

There were some interesting bits in this one -- the black pegasus, Blackjack, and the development of the 'extra' characters (Zoe and Thalia in particular). I'm also curious about the appearance of the young girl Rachel Dare. Who will she turn out to be? but of course ... I can't find out in this book. You HAVE to read the next one to know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Titan's Curse.