Jaline - (on partial hiatus)'s Reviews > The Luminaries

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton

bookshelves: x-favourites
Read 2 times. Last read February 1, 2014.

This is one of the most impressive books I have read in a long time. Complex and filled with fascinating characters that held my interest, in part because time and place were also so vivid and real. I found it very enjoyable!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Luminaries.

Finished Reading
Started Reading
February 1, 2014 – Finished Reading
April 23, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana Iozzia (Bookworm Banter) Ooh, this has been on my bookshelf, I'm glad I bumped into your review!

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Diana wrote: "Ooh, this has been on my bookshelf, I'm glad I bumped into your review!"

I'm glad you bumped into it, too, Diana! I read this book in February 2014 and it still comes to my mind at odd moments. It was so well written and real to me! :) I hope you get a chance to read it soon! :)

message 3: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa I'm glad to bump into your review as well ;) I'm pretty sure this is already on my mammoth tbr list!

message 4: by Jan W. Mc (new) - added it

Jan W. Mc I bought this last weekend! Looking forward to it!

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Vanessa wrote: "I'm glad to bump into your review as well ;) I'm pretty sure this is already on my mammoth tbr list!"

I'm glad, too, Vanessa! This is such an amazing book - one of the few that has made it to my Favorites shelf! :)

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Jan wrote: "I bought this last weekend! Looking forward to it!"

I am so excited that you will soon be reading this, Jan! I am looking forward to your thoughts and impressions! :)

message 7: by ``Laurie (new) - added it

``Laurie Henderson A great and succinct review, I gotta read it now!

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) ``Laurie wrote: "A great and succinct review, I gotta read it now!"

This review was written when I was on a site where Twitter-length was the norm. I had to learn to compress a lot into a small space! This is a fabulous book and one I hope you enjoy, too! :)

message 9: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue This is on my someday list. Glad you liked it so much, Jaline. May bump it up a notch in the huge list :-)

message 10: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Moving this one up! Nice to hear it was such a good read!

message 11: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Walters Thanks ... I’ve owned the thick hardcopy for years. Lol. Picked it up for a dollar one day in good condition.. but it’s another book I never got to.
My Rabbi enjoyed it too.

message 12: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma It's on my list too. Like Debbie, I'm going to bump it up the queue

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Sue wrote: "This is on my someday list. Glad you liked it so much, Jaline. May bump it up a notch in the huge list :-)"

Thank you, Sue - it is a book that held me spellbound throughout. I was so impressed! :)

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Debbie wrote: "Moving this one up! Nice to hear it was such a good read!"

Thank you, Debbie - it is one that I feel you will enjoy, and I definitely look forward to your review when you get a chance to read it! :)

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Elyse wrote: "Thanks ... I’ve owned the thick hardcopy for years. Lol. Picked it up for a dollar one day in good condition.. but it’s another book I never got to.
My Rabbi enjoyed it too."

Thank you for your great comment, Elyse! I feel in very good company with your Rabbi - hahaha! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this one! :)

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Emma wrote: "It's on my list too. Like Debbie, I'm going to bump it up the queue"

I'm so glad you plan to dive into this one at some point, Debbie. I was engaged right from the beginning and found it very difficult to put this book down! :)

message 17: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana nice review Jaline :) haven’t spoken to you in a while. hope you are healthy and doing well x

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie Glad you loved this, Jaline. A bigger incentive to read it.

message 19: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Glad you liked this one Jaline. I remember this one fondly.

message 20: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Glad you enjoyed it, Jaline :)

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Svetlana wrote: "nice review Jaline :) haven’t spoken to you in a while. hope you are healthy and doing well x"

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful comment, Svetlana! I am definitely healthy and doing well, although I have had some problems staying logged in. It feels like servers are being changed out somewhere along the line. Thankfully the error messages are going through to GR each time.

I hope you are healthy and happy, too, Svetlana! :)

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Katie wrote: "Glad you loved this, Jaline. A bigger incentive to read it."

Thank you, Katie! This book had a big impact on me and I look forward to seeing what you think when you get a chance to read it. :)

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Dan wrote: "Glad you liked this one Jaline. I remember this one fondly."

Me, too, Dan - it's been a while since I read it yet the story, the characters, and the setting are all still very vivid for me. :)

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Deanna wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it, Jaline :)"

Thank you so much, Deanna! :)

message 25: by JanB (new)

JanB Jaline, For some reason I've been scared of this book but your 5 stars is making me question my decision. I aspire to be the reader you are 😊

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) What a beautiful comment, Jan - and although I don't feel I deserve the accolade, I will accept it - with thanks and appreciation!

This will be another one that you will want to ensure you have time to devote to this book because if you respond like I did, when it pulls you in, you won't be able to put it down! 😊

message 27: by JanB (new)

JanB Jaline wrote: "What a beautiful comment, Jan - and although I don't feel I deserve the accolade, I will accept it - with thanks and appreciation!

This will be another one that you will want to ensure you have ti..."

message 28: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Glad you enjoyed it Jaline😄

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) JanB wrote: "Jaline, you are most welcome and I really meant it! I will be sure to set aside a day if and when I give this one a try 😊"

Dear friend Jan - I know you really meant it, and I am sincerely honoured - and I appreciate you so much! (whispering: you will need more than a day; this is a Big Book :)

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Maureen wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it Jaline😄"

Thank you, Maureen. I read it without knowing anything about it and I'm glad I did. Had I gotten all caught up in the symbols and symbolism I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. :)

message 31: by Bookish Ally (new)

Bookish Ally This book looks and sounds like it’s my cup of tea! I’ve put it on the list! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Jaline!

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Bookish Ally wrote: "This book looks and sounds like it’s my cup of tea! I’ve put it on the list! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Jaline!"

You are most welcome, Ally! I hope you love it as much as I did! I can still remember many of the people and places in this book, as well as how I felt while reading it. What a fabulous writer! 😊

message 33: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Compelling characters, great sense of place and a plot with lots of mystery. You said it all, Jaline!

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Tim wrote: "Compelling characters, great sense of place and a plot with lots of mystery. You said it all, Jaline!"

Thank you so much, Tim, and I was so happy to see your 5 Stars for this one, too! I read this before I started doing reviews on GR and only had a tiny space to work with, so I appreciate your comment even more! 😊👍