Kira's Reviews > Blood Gamble

Blood Gamble by Melissa F. Olson

liked it
bookshelves: magic, netgalley, unlikable-characters, urban-fantasy, vampires, witches

I loved the first book in this series but was terribly disappointed in this. All of the growth and maturity Scarlett gained in the last book up and disappeared in a flash about halfway through. She has the shittiest taste in men. Does she have something against mature responsible men? Why does she keep going for these douchebags when it’s clear it’ll never work in the long run?

This took place in Las Vegas. It had a different vibe since none of the regular side characters were around frequently. Frankly the new characters in Vegas weren’t interesting except for Wyatt. Jameson the null from New York was around. I didn’t care about him one way or the other, but as the book went on I liked him less and less. (view spoiler)

The mystery was okay. I strongly suspected one of the main people involved. The whole thing was more complex than I originally thought. It didn’t grip me though. I will read the next one but I am not looking forward to it. The drama from this will greatly affect the rest of the series. It was bad enough to have to suffer through it in this. Now there’s no chance of it ending soon.

I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Gamble.

April 23, 2017 – Shelved
June 25, 2017 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
June 25, 2017 – Shelved as: vampires
June 25, 2017 – Shelved as: witches
June 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Ami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ami (view spoiler)

Kira I only vaguely remembered Jameson. I knew there was another null out there but that was about it. The guy was not memorable. This book made him memorable for all the wrong reasons. (view spoiler)

message 3: by B (new) - rated it 1 star

B Thank you! And the ending was just absurd. I was almost done with the series after she ended up with Eli out of the blue the first time around when she didn't even really seem to like him all that much and all the ground work was laid for Jesse, but then they broke up and I was like FINALLY! But then this extremely random and weird thing with Jameson happened, and I honestly think I'm just done. The choices the author makes for Scarlett's love life continue to make absolutely zero sense and in fact directly contradict her own writing.

Kira Yes, it was absurd. I hate it when we are consistently told that something can't happen (view spoiler) and suddenly they can. I knew it was going to happen as soon as Scarlett said to Jameson that no two nulls had probably been together before. I might have been somewhat happier about it if (view spoiler)

I hated it that she chose Eli at the end of the third book. It made no sense. Jesse is clearly the guy for her. I was so happy with the last book because I thought she had finally come to her senses. This BS with Jameson made me 10 times more frustrated than her choosing Eli. I would like this series so much more if Scarlett's love life wasn't so aggravating. I'm afraid she's going to spend the next book mourning (view spoiler). The guy was an ass. I wish I could forget he ever existed. The events of this make that impossible.

message 5: by Mocha9 (new) - added it

Mocha9 This review and the comments are spot on! Perfect summary of what was wrong with this book. I still enjoyed reading it but felt frustrated about precisely the same things you did!