Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽'s Reviews > Cut from the Same Cloth

Cut from the Same Cloth by Kathleen Baldwin

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, regency, romance, brain-candy

3.5 stars. Kindle freebie as of 4/24/2017, for light Regency romance fans only. I whipped through this in one day and it was a pleasant little diversion with a decent sense of humor, if you're into this genre. It's third in a series but works fine as a stand-alone read. (I haven't read the others but apparently they're connected just in that the hero's aunt is in all three.)

Elizabeth Hampton and her brother are in financial straits. Since her brother, the heir, doesn't show much sign of doing anything about it, Elizabeth decides to take one for the team and is doing her best to interest some rich guy enough to marry her and save their estate. She can't afford the latest fashions, but she's (very secretly, because high society would NOT approve) an excellent seamstress and can sew amazing dresses for herself. Her one problem, well, besides the lame personalities of the rich guys who are interested in her ...

Lord St. Cleve, who goes by Valen (his full name is Valentine, so ... good call!), despises the ton, but he's promised his ailing father that he'll find a bride and get married. Partly to mock society and partly to see if he can find a woman who cares more about him than social rules, he dresses for parties in the most outlandish outfits he can put together, driving his valet to despair.

Unfortunately for Elizabeth, when they first meet he's picked the same distinctive cloth for his outfit as she's used for her dress. Elizabeth is incensed and barely manages to hold her tongue, since Valen is a friend of her brother. Valen's scheming Aunt Honore (a gem of a character!) decides to invite Elizabeth and her brother to stay in their home for a few weeks, and Valen decides Elizabeth definitely needs to be taken down several notches. What better way than to follow her when she buys more cloth for dresses, then buy the same cloth for himself so he can repeat the fun he had at the first dance where they met?

But when they get to know each other better and see the real person behind the other's façade, and then when Valen's past work in the war with France comes back to haunt both of them, the stakes are raised and the game-playing gets set aside. At least for a little while. :)

It's a pretty good read, especially for a freebie, again, if you like the genre. Elizabeth is a bit of a scold and seems cold, especially at first, but she's carrying a lot of burdens and cares, so I could sympathize with her. The ending felt rushed, but overall it has enough fun moments and enjoyment to make it worth reading.

Content note: some innuendo but otherwise clean. Kisses only.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cut from the Same Cloth.

April 23, 2017 – Started Reading
April 23, 2017 – Shelved
April 23, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 23, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery
April 23, 2017 – Shelved as: regency
April 23, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
April 23, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 24, 2017 – Shelved as: brain-candy

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Carmen (new)

Carmen That dress, though

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Lol, it's probably a sample of book cover disconnect ... although the main character does have a thing for embroidered silks. :)

message 3: by Carmen (new)

Carmen I love historical romance covers, just because I want the dresses!

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ There are a couple of really luscious dress descriptions in the book. You'd probably like that part. :)

message 5: by Carmen (new)

Carmen I'd rather see pictures! ;) It's hard for me to visualize clothes descriptions sometimes.

message 6: by Jaima (new)

Jaima I started this one and got about halfway through...I liked the premise and the humor, but somehow it didn't hold me to the end. Now that I read your review I think I will have to pick it up again.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ JAIMA! Good to see you again!

I was just noticing that I actually downloaded a copy of the second book as a freebie ages ago and have never read it. I'm interested enough to try to pull it from the depths of my Kindle app and read it soon.

Apparently the only real tie between the books of this series is the character of Valen's Aunt Honore, who is hilarious and given to a little bit of manipulative match-making when she thinks people need a push in the right direction. I'd like to read more of her scheming. :)

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather I prefer my romances to be, er, not clean, but the hero sounds like a lot of fun! I think I'll give this one a try. Great review!

message 9: by Jaima (new)

Jaima Thanks! I stalk you from the shadows (thanks so many helpful reviews!), but every once in a while I stick my head up again :)
I will watch to see what you make of the second. I remember liking the aunt.

message 10: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ (last edited Apr 24, 2017 11:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Jaima wrote: "Thanks! I stalk you from the shadows (thanks so many helpful reviews!), but every once in a while I stick my head up again :)
I will watch to see what you make of the second. I remember liking the..."

Well, thanks for dropping in. It's good to know you're alive. :)

Heather *live on coffee & flowers* wrote: "I prefer my romances to be, er, not clean, but the hero sounds like a lot of fun! I think I'll give this one a try. Great review!"

I don't want to oversell this book; it was an amusing light read for me, not much more than that. But sometimes that's what I'm looking for.

message 11: by Heather (last edited Apr 24, 2017 12:02PM) (new)

Heather Lol Tadiana, I won't get my hopes too high. ;)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Heather *live on coffee & flowers* wrote: "Lol Tadiana, I won't get my hopes too high. ;)

I've been curious about dandy heros lately, which is one reason this interests me. :)"

Well, it's free, so enjoy! Some of the innuendos will probably appeal to you. ;)

message 13: by Kyla (new) - added it

Kyla Great review! Looks like a nice and light story.

message 14: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Great review, I enjoyed this too.

message 15: by Jody (new)

Jody McGrath Pretty cover.

QNPoohBear I love Aunt Honore! She makes me laugh. I liked this one best of the trilogy. Aunt Honore does some pretty outrageous stuff. They're not super fluff-the backstories are good.