Julie Decker's Reviews > The Stone Heart

The Stone Heart by Faith Erin Hicks

Here is volume two of the Nameless City series. We revisit our heroes Kaidu and Rat, who just saved very important people from treachery and are healing from the encounter. But the City's future is uncertain: the current Emperor of All Blades and the leader of the Dao invasion is now interested in creating a council to keep the peace and include surrounding peoples in its governance. But some Dao don't want their ways to change and would like to enjoy the benefits of being the conquerors, and some supposedly loyal Dao will show their true colors, sacrificing safety and knowledge to ensure that sharing the wealth is not on the agenda. Rat and Kaidu are about to find out who they can trust, and their strengths and allies may not be enough to save the City this time.

I thought this book was a slight improvement over the previous volume, but both were really good. I like that the art is so expressive and that the author knows when to leave pictures to speak for themselves, and though there are a few well-worn story elements here, they're fresh enough in context to still feel inventive. I liked learning more about the pasts of Kai and Rat, and characters struggling with their loyalties and being unable to properly handle power is pretty intriguing to me. I don't feel incredibly connected to anyone still, but I like their story, and I continue to appreciate that the story isn't pushing a romantic angle between the protagonists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stone Heart.

April 23, 2017 – Started Reading