Noa ☾'s Reviews > City of Heavenly Fire

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

bookshelves: young-adult, iconic-characters, read-in-2019, reviewed
Read 2 times. Last read January 28, 2019 to March 18, 2019.

4.5/5

I DID IT ! I FINALLY FINISHED RE-READING THIS SERIES. One of the best finale in any series I've read. Took me a whole year (well a year and three months) but I did it, and I enjoyed myself A LOT. This was a T H I C C book. (I’d also like to say I’ve been catching up on the TV show and THEY’RE NOT FOLLOWING THE PLOT-LINE AT ALL AND ARE BUTCHERING EVERYTHING. Ngl, I’m just here for Malec and Maia)

💫The Plot 💫

➰This was a great conclusion to the series and I’m just now realizing how much planning Cassie Clare has done (there’s so much foreshadowing imo it’s impressive) I think she’s an amazing story-teller and I really care and love the world she’s created. You can tell her writing has improved a lot throughout the series and then with her other books. I still think that City of Lost Souls is the best books in The Mortal Instruments.

➰This is a weird instance where I actually care about the plot ? I’m interested in what’s gonna happen next (talking about QOAAD) and the whole policies of the Shadowhunter world. Magnus knew what was up and he freaking predicted everything that was gonna happen in Lady Midnight and Lord of Shadows (I still have yet to read QOAAD) but HE KNEW THERE WOULD BE CONSEQUENCES TO TREATING THE FAERIES LIKE THAT. “The Carthaginians never forgot. Their hatred of Rome sparked another war in the end, and that war ended in death and slavery. That was not peace. This is not peace.” I just love him, you know ?

💫Let’s be real, we all know I’m here for the characters : 💫

➰Clary and Jace’s relationship is cute as fuck, I won’t lie anymore. It took me a bit of time to get over them (here’s an Alec quote that describes perfectly my feels “You’re pining,” said Jace. Alec shrugged. “Look who’s talking. ‘Oh, I love her. Oh, she’s my sister. Oh why, why, why—)

➰Jonathan/Sebastian : THAT ENDING MADE MY HEART ACHE IM NOT GONNA LIE. Jonathan was robbed and he was made to be something so cruel and heartless and I do believe with my whole heart that had he been raised alongside Clary he wouldn’t have turned out like this. He was abused and turned into a monster. It doesn’t excuse everything he has done but there’s a case to be made about him. I also appreciate very much how Cassie wrote a chapter where we see how it would’ve been if he hadn’t been evil. I cannot say that I understand Jocelyn’s reaction to Sebastian’s birth. When she said his soul was dead when she looked in his eyes, I just — I don’t get it, I’m trying but I simply don’t.

Simon Lewis is definitely my favorite character out of this whole series. And Jace. Fine, I said it. I like Jace. How did this happen ? I’m clueless. “I think they’ll probably put that on my gravestone. ‘He Was Heterosexual and Had Low Expectations.’”

💫Key-smashing/Quotes I liked : 💫

We are Morgensterns,” he added, a dark ache in his voice. “The bright stars of morning. The children of Lucifer, the most beautiful of all God’s angels. We are so much lovelier when we fall.”

➰I love how the Bible plays a role in Jonathan’s action. “It was a sort of quote,” he said. “From the Bible. When Judas kissed Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane. It was a sign of his betrayal. He kissed him and said ‘Hail, master’ to him, and that was how the Romans knew who to arrest and crucify.”

Sebastian, he did what he did because—because he doesn’t understand the difference between loving and having. Between giving yourself and taking. And he thought that if he could make me give myself, then he’d have me, I’d be his, and to him that’s love, because he doesn’t know anything else.

THERE’S SO MUCH TENSION BETWEEN SIMON AND JACE DON’T EVEN GET ME STARTED ! CASSIE KNEW WHAT SHE WAS DOING : “Did I—did we ever—did I bite you?” Jace touched the scar on his throat. “I can’t believe you remember that.” “Did we ... roll around on the bottom of a boat?” “Yes, you bit me, yes, I kind of liked it, yes, let’s not talk about it again,”

➰ Also, A Question : How in the Heavens did Jace remember to pack a FUCKING CONDOM WHEN GOING TO EDOM ? CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN ?

(view spoiler)

💫Keep up with me on my blog! 💫

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Heavenly Fire.

2015 – Started Reading
2015 – Finished Reading
April 23, 2017 – Shelved
November 4, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 28, 2019 – Started Reading
February 1, 2019 –
February 26, 2019 –
31.0% "I had forgotten how much I love Clary and Simon's friendship."
February 28, 2019 –
36.0% "I forgot how long this book was. Also, the first episode of season 3B of the tv show just came out and oh my, what did they do !!"
March 17, 2019 –
62.0% "SPOILERS (kind of) DONT READ IF YOU HAVENT READ COHF
I really like the part where they all have dreams in Edom and Clary sees herself marrying Jace and she sees normal Jonathan with his green eyes being a cool normal non demonic brother and aw my heart. hurts."
March 18, 2019 –
92.0% "i love this. a lot. a lot A LOT. it's crazy how each book/series is connected to the other. the foreshadowing is crazy. i'm also kinda heart-broken atm."
March 18, 2019 – Shelved as: iconic-characters