Jennie's Reviews > Magdalene

Magdalene by Moriah Jovan

did not like it
Recommended for: No one

Disjointed, sloppy writing. Lacks real knowledge of Mormons and leadership in the Church. Too much vulgarity for vulgarities sake makes this story crude and amateurish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magdalene.

Started Reading
August 1, 2011 – Finished Reading
August 12, 2011 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by J (new)

J You mean, "vulgarity for vulgarity's sake" instead of plural? Plus dude, it's fiction. Duh.

Jennie No, I meant plural, but your way certainly works too.

Julie Actually, plural would be "vulgarities for vulgarity's sake." I find it amusing that someone who defends their own bad grammar is judging an author's writing as "sloppy and amateurish."

First, it's fiction. Second, there's the church in the Intermountain West and then there's the church Everywhere Else - and they aren't the same thing. I've lived both places and I found the depiction accurate, moreso for the Everywhere Else church. I've found members in the Intermountain West will turn a blind eye to the negative politicking, power maneuvers, and ego barons more readily than members Everywhere Else.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but I look at the brevity of the review and how completely off the mark it is and I wonder if you actually read the whole thing. A review like this one is similar to telling a spouse or a child "you never do anything right," without being able to explain details.

I thought this book was brilliant and the best in the Dunham series. My first thought on reading it was that it had the potential to be the Great Mormon Novel because it is honest about Mormons and Mormonism. But that's MY opinion.

message 4: by Joe (last edited Sep 10, 2013 10:11PM) (new)

Joe What a frakking vulgar work! Sloppy, incomplete sentences and shallow criticism make this review crude and amateurish.